Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano

My version for what you say, and rightly so, is simple , Prayer .

God is not looking for a spiritual opera.

P.S .

Madama Butterfly is a spiritual opera , very much so.

I think you are right for Madama Butterfly...

Thank  you to understand my perspective...

I like to discuss ... It is my Achiles heel....

It’s more your Glory.

I find among very intelligent people I know they use spiritual all the time.

Most are people who can not understand why if there is a God why he allows

the horrows of our world .I have to turn my head when I see a 3 yr child weighs

ten pounds and a 13 year old girl is less than four 4 ,ft tall on a "Save the Child",,which is my chief fund ,, ad on TV .

Or why is my son or my mother or my wife have, cancer .

And a thousand other things. I don’t have the answer.

All I can think of , is mankind has proved there is infinity and if there is a God

all the Sorrows of this earth are less than the blink of his eye .

And there is always Pascal.

I rarely encounter a man so mature and deep in all fields of human interest than Pascal...

Reading him is a stunning awakening on all scale...And he was the greatest prose french writer , he transform french prose in an "art of the fugue"...

There is a deep link between Bach music and Pascal thinking...Even if more than 20 years separate the death of one and the birth of the other...

The audible presence of God in the music of Bach answer to the more than probable existence of the Designer in his famous mathematical "wager" and the inner heart consuming fire of love in man....

The wager idea was never understood clearly by most thinkers....Most said that this was a very simplistic argument about God existence...

But it was never intended to be an argument, but a little spark of fire able to ignite the whole world... Why?

Because if someone is able to think about the infinite only one time he will never be able to erase the idea or this experience after it was born in him...

The wager is the wood, and the stones which rubbed with one another will ignite a fire...it is more potent than the St Anselm ontological argument, because it is an appeal to an existential gesture of the thinking...Not only a logical argument....

If you create the idea of infinity one time in your imagination, going back before this moment will become for ever impossible...

Like in the history of mathematic the creation by Cantor of the infinite actualities...

I am surprized that there is no musical work i know of dedicated to Pascal....

It's midnight and  I'm tried  but i think I read Bach had fantastic math power in his head hence counter-point etc

also  Think that Brahms read Pascal - he did have an IQ  off the chart

Oh some drunk or drugy might forget but if you read Pascal  your' likely smart

enough to remember

Viva La Quebec !