SME 30/2 Controller

Looking to get some questions answered regarding a 2004 30/2 turntable. The controller has the knob instead of push buttons and I believe it to be the 2nd generation as the box is longer format. Does the latest controller work with the existing motor?

The O-Rings are original and the table has been in the box unused since 2009. Is a belt and new rings needed because of age?

The platter is the mustard/green color but it seems that it was not a change other than color.

If anyone knows pricing please enlighten me!

Thanks for any help.

hifipf

I bought a 30/2, S/N 0244, from Audiogon in 2020 and it was not locked down for transit correctly, and the oil in the towers was everywhere on receipt. Good news was there was no real damage, just a mess.

Brian Laker at SME was very helpful, he sent me Service Sheet 54 and I got the original seller to cough up for 4 vials of the tower fluid. I stripped the deck down, filled up the towers as per the instructions, doing every thing very slowly and taking umpteen photos, just in case. I still have them if you need any help.

Once all back together and cleaned up, the deck was superb. its the yellow platter and knob-style supply, I too was interested in the newer push-button style but I think its pricey (4000USD?).

I have a V and Dynavector 20X2L, sounds great to me, am listening to Gary Numan as I type. Best record spinner I have owned by far (LP12, rega P9, SME 20/2, 20/3).

You asked about pricing. I paid 12500 for the 30/2 with V. I had been looking online for years, and that was the best/lowest price I ever saw. There’s two on Agon now, one at 16, one at 22 (a lot newer it has to be said).

If you are anywhere near Seattle, let me know.

Thanks for the info Tobermorey. I got the fluid ordered only a small amount leaked from 1 dash pot and the instruction for proper level of fill. My serial # is older but I have grey platter. 
 I am waiting on my Rosewood Sig to be rebuilt.  I hope it works with  SME V tonearm. It’s a low compliance cartridge and I have been told it’s not going to be a correct match. 

Surprising you have the newer grey/black platter color on a unit with original power supply form. Maybe someone changed out the platter?

Even filling one tower will require the entire subchassis come off. You’ll see how clever the damping fluid design is, you have the inverted cup with a normally unseen inner part sitting in the fluid that is held by the upright cup, if you see what I mean. You can’t see any of this with an assembled unit. This is one nice side-effect of having to strip the unit down, I learned something in the process.

What I still don’t quite understand is how the manual states that raising the sub-chassis increases isolation. i would have thought with less material in the fluid, that would gives rise to less damping/isolation. Anyone enlighten me there?

I think Koetsu cartridges are of a height that requires a 1/4in shim between headshell and cartridge. I know Analogue Seduction in the UK sell it, 34 UKP I think. US dealers can likely get it too, Acoustic Sounds prob best bet.

I for one would be very interested in your experience with a Koetsu on the 30/V.  I have thought about getting one myself, but am now erring on the side of moving up the Dynavector range to an XX2.  I run the Dynavector 200 SUT, so staying with their carts makes sense to me.

I’ve run many Koetsu models on the 9” Magnesium SME tonearms with no issues or spacers required, although the heavier stone bodies prefer the heavier counterweight instead of the lighter original hanging way out away from the pivot. If a headshell spacer is required then its likely to be a case of the cueing cylinder not being set low enough at its lowered position. If the fluid damper is available (Series IV.Vi & Series V), some cases call for just a delicate “dip of the toe” of the paddle tip into the fluid for solidifying the image without over damping.

Dynavector, is also an excellent choice, especially when going above their first two models.

I tend to agree with your turntable suspension damping thought about increasing the gap provides less suspension damping.