Lumin vs Bricasti Volume Control

I'm interested in both brands but will be going direct to an amplifier. Can anyone comment on the built in volume controls? Is there a sound quality difference between Lumin's digital vs Bricasti's analog domain?

Thanks!

128x128jeffreyw

A pre-amp will always be best for volume control. A good pre-amp will open up the soundstage and do all sorts of wonderful things IF you have a good source and DAC. If you don't, a pre-amp will show up all the warts in your front end and make your system sound terrible, just the same as if you put revealing speakers in a lesser system.

I'd think of a digital or similar volume control as a stop gap to get your system up and running while you look for a symbiotic pre-amp, it must match.

Hello,

To start with the Lumin products have LEEDH volume control. It does not loose very much as you adjust the sound. Also, you can get an optional remote control for some Lumin products. Last is they have a new preamp/ DAC/ Steamer called the P1. It is very close in sound to the Lumin X1 and already has a built in linear power supply. I know the Bricasti M3 is good a good value. What I have seen is some of these good values sometimes are a little to cool sounding for my taste. Since you are also contemplating the DCS Bartok you are into some serious money. You can get a remote but it’s volume on the app is butter smooth anyways because of LEEDH volume control. And if you want the preamp to be able to run analog or use the built in DAC go with the P1. I hope this helped. Call your local dealer and take it for a spin. 

we are an authorized lumin and brricasti dealer

the lumin's volume control is far superior it is smooth and ramps up or down easily

the bricasti volume is tap tap tap to work, no rampimg up or down

we feel the m3 plus our 432evo server sounds even better then the T2 but costs abit more

and yes the usb input off the EVO sounds better then the M3’s network card

Dave and Troy

Audio intellect NJ

bricasti lumin 432Evo dealers

@lordmelton 

Interestingly, I may use your stop-gap advice of DAC/preamp first and then invest in a preamp. Due to budget, I would like to get a killer amp, and DAC then worry about preamp. I only do digital, so I have to address the diminishing return that a preamp will provide vs. the cost of such a unit. 

@jeffreyw Yes Jeff that's exactly what I did. Checkout the Musetec 005 Dac it has remote volume control which can be bypassed when you get a Pre.

Regarding power amps there are some killer Threshold (Pass Labs) Class A & A/AB on the used market they are wonderful, I have one.