DIY Active Ground Box

I recently received a custom cable that has three loop-ground spades that are linked to the cable's shield. The cable was originally designed for phonograph use, but my customized version is being used in a digital to analog function. The manufacturer left the loop-spades in. The manufacturer said I could just use electric tape to "cap them off."   The ground cables are not 100% necessary in this application. However, they are an exposed conductor. I know that I can enhance their performance by treating them as a floating shield by using an active ground.

I was thinking it would be cheaper and more practical to make my own. Does anyone have experience doing this? If so, can you share your design ideas?

The concept I have seen and want to build on, is making a wooden box that is coated internally with copper plates. Then use an IEC C14 socket to attach the ground lead to the copper plates via a solid copper cable.  Then create a simple plug using a NEMA 1-15 connector where only the ground lead is connected.

Then insert banana plug sockets that also attach to the copper plates via a copper cable. Then connect the spades to the banana plug outlets.

Once this contraption is plugged into the wall socket, it should effectively attach to the house's ground.

Thoughts?

128x128guakus

@lowrider57 

Remember, this was supposed to be a phono cable and those have a ground, typically. Due to the type of customization, Synergistic suggested the Phono cable as the base.

One end is stereo 3.5 stereo mini pin; like a headphone jack. The other end is two RCA, one left channel and one right channel. Synergistic left in the ground wires, as if it was still going to be a phono cable. I can't stand the fact that there are three wires with silver spades just hanging free. :(

This cable comes out of a USB DAC and plugs into a pair of powered speakers. Audioengine HD6.

Just cut the ends off the offending wire(s).  Problem solved.  Too much effort and no real improvement if you go through all this nonsense.

@fatdaddy2 

Cutting the cables would achieve the exact same thing as not cutting them...except that by not cutting them, I have an opportunity to do something with them. Also, by cutting them, one has no way to address any noise issue having a bare wire exposed.

I understand people's skepticism about stuff like this, but if I break it down to the most basic electronics concept, then it makes sense.

There is a positive conductor and a negative conductor and a braided shield. Normally, the shield just loops into itself inside the cable. Whatever signals it captures or picks up, just stays netted in the shield. By having an external conductor for the shield, then any signals it picks up can now be bled off and away.  I don't see the harm in having it direct somewhere else safely.

Point is, it won't hurt to try it.