Lumin vs Bricasti Volume Control

I'm interested in both brands but will be going direct to an amplifier. Can anyone comment on the built in volume controls? Is there a sound quality difference between Lumin's digital vs Bricasti's analog domain?

Thanks!

128x128jeffreyw

The Bricasti volume control is analog, which is a good thing.  I've run my M3 direct to amps. I thought it sounded very clear but soundstage lost dimension compared to my preamps (BHK Pre with NOS tubes and Luxman c900u).  YMMV as I suspect a lot is system-dependent.  I've not heard the Lumin, but in my experience, analog volume control is generally better than digital implementations, and a great preamp is better still.  What I've learned about preamps is the buffer stage really allows a great preamp to drive the amps and most DACs don't have the capability to drive an amp well without losing something in the process.  I am sure it can be done well if  designed to, but that is probably the cost of a great preamp added to the DAC either way. 

In Bricasti's line, the M21 is basically an M1 SE Delta Sigma DAC plus an R2R Dac.  You can switch between them.  

The M12 "Source Controller: is an M1 SE Delta Sigma with an amazing analog preamp stage.  If you are only looking for the delta-sigma portion of the M21, an M12 could be brilliant and a superb choice for you.  

Just thought I would mention that as it is an interesting alternative.  

I have gone directly from my Lumin U1 into both my tube amp (el84) and my big Bryston. Very nice detail but both seemed a tad thinner. The Volume control within the Lumin ap is very easy to control from the tablet, but make sure you set your max volume control… because every so often your finger will inadvertently your finger will slip. 

I have gone directly from my Lumin U1 into both my tube amp (el84) and my big Bryston. Very nice detail but both seemed a tad thinner. The Volume control within the Lumin ap is very easy to control from the tablet, but make sure you set your max volume control… because every so often your finger will inadvertently slip. 

I have just ordered a Lumin T2, with the SBooster and the Lumin Infrared Leedh volume control. I am planning on going direct to my two amps. I went with the remote because they " say " it's great and I didn't want to blow up my speakers! I should have it this week and will try to report my findings.