What a pile of Schiit

Sorry, most of us just can’t resist.

So I was looking at the Schiit Asgard and wanted it with a phono card. The web site does not provide the phono option on the drop down even though the owners manual clearly states this is an option. The only way to get it is to order it separately . When you do that, not only does it cost more but it voids the return policy even though Schiit installed it! Now if I ordered the phono card separately, and did a self install, I could return it. But, here again, you are not given an option on the site of purchasing it that way. Note the other preamps have drop downs that allow the option of factory or self installation of these cards at $50 savings either way. Insane.

So I emailed Schiit and Laura dogmatically states there is nothing that can be done, that’s the way it is.

Anyone else had similar experience with this company?

Has anyone listened to this phono card option on any of their modular headphone amps?

corelli

I am using a Loki with Parasound preamp & Bryston monoblocks, no discernable hum.  It did take "awhile" to get a black one, for some time only silver available (guess supply chain isssues) but they were nice about it and sent me a tshirt that says "schitt happens".  

I have bought a number of Schiit items.  They were all good values and performed better than expected.
One of the reasons they are good values is the relative lack of customer service. It makes no sense chat up an inexpensive piece of equipment.  Buy it, try it, return it if you don't like it.

One item missing from my list above is (5) a ’Mono’ button. Older recordings, and the CDs that transcribe them to the modern era really benefit. I have the mono option on my phono preamp, but having a ’mono’ control on the preamp allows me to get the same benefit from the CDs. And some people I know, professional musicians at that, prefer mono. At least you don’t have to worry so much about finding a ’sweet spot’ when listening in monaural mode.

Edit: But the sound from the Schiit ain't shit, it is still great and I believe you would have to pay 10 times more to get something that sounds palpably better.

I have many Schiit products and they are great value for modest systems with one exception. The Yggdrasil (less is more) is a fabulous DAC (at any price). I used it to replace two DACs that were twice the cost. If you want better customer service buy from a brick and mortar store.

I think it is one of those little annoyance situations we all run into now and then. It is not going to ruin Shitt as a company.  I have a bifrost connected to a bluesound node2. It is completely silent and more fluid sounding, more natural than the built in DAC. I am happy with it.