Differences the Project RS2 Transport and the (newest) Jay's Audio CD2 Mk 3

@jaymark and @charles1dad are owners of the Project PS2 Transport and loving it.  I am between the Jay's Audio CD2 Mk3 and the Project.   However, did anyone compare the NEW 2019 Jay's Audio CD2 Mk3 rather than the prior model Mk2?  Steve Guttenberg reviewed them both and found significant improvement in the Mk3 version sonically.   How close are they now as the Jay's is $2500 and the Project with LTA power is closer to $4,000 (with taxes)?   

fleschler

I don’t post too much on the forum discussions, but I’m a long-time reader.

I purchased a new Jay’s Audio CD2 MK3 (through Alvin Chee at Vinshine who shipped out the player mega-fast using DHL) a few weeks back to replace a Cambridge Audio AZUR 550C & a Mcintosh MVP-861 that I toggled back & forth with when playing CDs. Both of those CD players offered what I thought was great sound as stand-alone players and as transports once I started to use the on-board DAC on my Mcintosh C2600 Pre. Making the change to use the C2600’s DAC allowed for notable sound quality improvements. From there, I added Jay’s Audio DAC and the sound quality was further enriched with an overall smoothness that stood out to me as the primary gain with that DAC. Enter the Jay’s Audio CD2 MK3....the improvement of the sound quality was like cleaning your car’s windshield with your wipers after having driven behind a truck or van on the highway during a snow storm....the music is much more alive, real, clearer, vivid, juicy, liquid-like and the sound stage is far more deeper and wider. I was really blown away at how much of an improvement switching out the CD transport had made as I didn’t have those expectations. (I’m still toggling back and forth with the RCA & I2S outputs of the transport) I too considered the Pro-Ject RS2 transport for a bit, but kept myself on the Jay’s brand for matching and in some respects the physical appearance...something about the Pro-Ject’s entire top opening like a car hood didn’t sit well with me, but then the Jay’s CD load/ upload process is different too. I have absolutely no regrets with my decision on the Jay’s transport and get excited when my day/ night allows for my next listening session. I’m sure the Pro-Ject transport is awesome, but I could only choose one.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share my timeline of experiences with the decisions I’ve made within my system. Big thumbs up on the Jay’s Audio CD2 MK3.

Hello S4patrick

Awesome and congratulations I am enthusiastically waiting for a tracking number for my Jay's Audio cd2 mkIII . I purchased it last week in hopes of not coinciding with the Chinese New Year. It was a unusually tough decision between  the Project  Audio  rs2 and the Jay's .I am glad to hear I wasn't the only person agonizing on which one to purchase.  It's great to hear the Jay's audio  cd2 mkIII is meeting your expectations.  I  researched reviews and owner impressions and decided the Jay's cd2 mkIII was the one for me because of the I2s to mate with my Pontus II and IEC socket . I also wanted a reliable durable transport that proved itself over the years with good ergonomics.  It's a sexy beast . My system is down and I won't be able to give listening impressions for some time. My house was damaged in hurricane Ida last August. 

@s4patrick and  ​​​​@chuckie Congratulations to both of you with your Jay’s Audio transport purchases. I have no doubt that both of you will be enjoy long term satisfaction. Chuckie I hope your housing situation resolves for you in the very near future.

Charles

Hello Charles1Dad

Thank you so much for your welcomed and warm wishes regarding my home.  You're one of the most sincere and thoughtful gentlemen on Audiogon and very insightful.  Your posts are very well written with a philosophical nature. I always look to read what Charles1Dad has to say. I am sure your words of wisdom and knowledge has touched many over the years  on Audiogon myself included. 

Yes, it was a close decision on which transport would serve my needs and the Jay's audio cd2 mkIII was my choice.  Seemingly there's not a bad choice regarding either product.  I am also happy to hear of your excitement during the break-in period with the Project audio rs2 and LPS. I hope and wish you many years of pure enjoyment with your Project audio rs2 also. 

All the Best

Chuckie