Sony SACD Player SCD-XA5400ES; YAY or NAY?

Happy New Year All,

Sony SACD Player SCD-XA5400ES; YAY or NAY? (around $1,000. usd used)

6 dacs, 3 left/3 right

sends SACD’s DSD out RCA jacks without conversion to PCM.

Upscales CD’s 8x to SACD #s, then out RCA

spinner traverses over fixed dual laser: one cd, one sacd

2010 model: typically 10-12 years old, I see laser assemblies for sale, indicates

a. people want to keep em going.

b. laser problematic

thanks for advice as always,

Elliott

elliottbnewcombjr

LP/CD Comparison: after two: Zackly-Idenstical-Zimla.

1. Friday Night in San Francisco, 3 magnificent guitarists

First, the CD's imaging of the 3 guitarists helped me refine my anti-skate a smidge for identical placement of John's center guitar. Other improvements to imaging always follow proper center balance. Also, everything that follows when a stylus properly contacts the groove's bottom and both sides.

After that: no way I could tell them apart. I couldn't fool myself which was playing, but I believe anyone else could have. 

The things that this player does right allow it to have the same full body sound of the guitars and their different string types that no other CD player was able to do. As I said, I think it is improved Fundamentals and all that follows, overtones, volume and time decay, inter-relationships 

2. White Winds, Andreas Vollenweider.

https://www.discogs.com/master/82235-Andreas-Vollenweider-White-Winds-Seekers-Journey

Finally a CD player that makes the introductory wind sounds and water sounds properly, just like the LP does.  

Other comparisons to follow, other ears than mine to get involved soon.

Oh baby did this sound better than ever on this player!

I'm listening, thinking whoever recorded this sure knew what the hell they were doing. Checked, Rudy Gelder, his place, just terrific.

Max Roach solos (several) get center to full right, cymbals to cymbals everything in between

I can't stop listening to this CD player. Started buying some used CD's.

This sounds outstanding

everything that is outstanding content is better than ever!!! crap is outstandingly crappy.

elliottbnewcombjr

Good to read that you are enjoying the Sony ES. 

Happy Listening!