eARC when using Roku

I have a Lyngdorf mp 60 2.1 that is currently connected to a Roku ultra via HDMI for both audio and video.  Is there any advantage connecting The Roku directly to the tv, a LG 2.1 hdmi, via HDMI and running the audio back to the Lyngdorf  from the tv using the eARC HDMI of the LG tv. Since the video from the Roku is not processed and is only passed  through, by the Lyngdorf a direct connection to the tv for video maybe better?   Please advise. Thanks.

Guy

guyt

The Oppo 205 is a multifunction player, digital line stage and DAC. It too allows for pass through. Though the internal video processing is probably better than most. Though capable of multichannel, I only use it’s dedicated 2 channel output currently to my audio only line stage, as I still have analog source as well. The Roku goes directly into the TV, the audio then goes through the TV’s ARC HDMI (optical is another option) output into one of the Oppo 205’s preferred HDMI inputs (optical is another option, but that input is being used for a D-VHS player's digital audio output). I’m not yet using a dedicated audio streamer. When I do, it will go to the Oppo 205 through a different input.

Ok I understand your set up. Do you notice an improvement in audio using the audio return channel back to the Oppo vs direct connect Roku via HDMI to the Oppo?  Is that Enhanced Audio Return or ARC. Do you set the digital output on the Roku for two channel uncompressed files?  In your opinion would I have anything to gain in two channel playback If I direct connect the Roku to the TV and use the eARC to push the audio signal to the Lyngdorf.  The only reason I ask is because all the cash I put out for this system which functions as stereo and home theater function. 

Thank you

I originally had the Roku going into the Oppo 205 then into the TV, I then changed as outlined previously.  I really didn't notice a change in sound quality. I think this has more to do with the audio signal sent through the Roku. Most of the audio seems to be almost mono. I think they want to keep the attention on the screen. Concert casts can offer some more soundstage, but is not comparable to say a CD. Again, I suspect this isn't due the technical capabilities, but rather to what signal is being delivered. I currently use ARC. Yes, I do set the Roku for two channel uncompressed files. By directly connecting the Roku to the TV you might get a purer more direct with less chance of other electronic noise video signal. Putting the Roku directly into the TV has reduced the number audio dropouts that occur. Though this happened so rarely that it's hardly worth mentioning. For me(!) putting the Roku directly into the TV has had one distinct advantage.  Sometimes, on Sunday mornings I'll watch broadcasts of soccer games that have foreign to me language commentary. With the Roku directly into the TV I can mute the TV audio, and simultaneously listen to music of my choice through the Oppo 205. The Lyngdorf offers so many other features that I don't think I would feel short changed.

Ok thanks for your input. Its seems like there is much guess work when it comes to optimizing the audio.  Much  money is spent for items downstream from the signal ie. ac cords, speaker and interconnects and the issues may be the signal path that is  chosen.   I think I will keep the connection of the Roku to the processor for now based on your experiences.  Do you have any thoughts on the higher end ethernet and HDMI wires?  Thanks for your time.

Guy

We're using different devices in different locations. What works best for me, might be different than what works best for you. Your Lyngdorf seems to work as advertised. The only advantage to my set up is independent Roku video and independent audio output. I don't have any thoughts on higher end ethernet wires, and though I don't use them, respected videophiles seem to regularly recommend Wireworld's HDMI cables.