China built tube amps

Well I had an interesting conversation today. I contacted a large dealer and let him know I would like to buy a certain integrated tube amplifier that is made in China. I was told he wouldn't sell me one. He said they are all junk.  Prima Luna, Line Magnetic, Cayin, etc, etc, he said forget it. If you want a tube amplifier buy an American or European built unit that can be serviced.

So, I am new to valve amplifiers and I want to try one to understand what they're all about and sort of get my feet wet with tube rolling etc. I don't want to spend a lot of money at first which is why I was looking at Chinese built integrateds. So my question is, without getting into any particular brand other than what I have already mentioned, what is your experience with Chinese built tube amps? As a whole are they reliable? Am I wasting my money if I buy one according to this dealer? I have to admit I was rather taken aback by how adamant he was. Thoughts anyone?

128x128falconquest

I can only speak for my purchase of a Line Magnetic LM-805ia: I am not a dealer or a shill. I purchased it from Pitch Perfect Audio in Palm Desert, CA. I forgot the owner's name, but he is a super, stand-up guy and carries a lot of their amps and speakers. I've had it for almost 2 1/2 years with zero issues and the sound (to me) is better than the Prima Luna (tested both amps with the same Tannoy Turnberry speakers). If you go with one, I'd suggest swapping in some NOS Melz 6SN7's, a National Union 1940's NOS 6SL7, PSVANCE ACME 805, and PSVANE ACME 300b tubes. I estimate a 20-25% sound improvement over the original tubes. My homemade power cord out of Dueland 600v wires and parts connexion plugs made a nice improvement in sound as did my homemade Dueland RCA cables with the Dueland RCA's. Yes, it's possible: you can buy a China amplifier and still have a place to go back to/contact if you experience any issues. From what I remember the main Line Magnetic service/repair/warranty facility is in Arizona. 

If you find an all-American-made amp that can compete with this one's sound, quality, and price please let me know.

At least you now know which dealer to avoid.

The man’s an opinionated fool.

Lots of wonderful Chinese made high end products.

Not so sure about the ones selling for a hundred bucks on the bay, though.  Although, those may be good, as well.

Good luck and have fun.

If you do some rudimentary research and familiarize yourself with basic information and develope an understanding of the "Tube Amp", you will find:

The Dealer will offer you something that is Good.

The majority of Chinese products (recognizable names like Prima Luna, Doge, Caiyn etc) are Good.

Japanese and European designs are Good.

It is up to You to decide what is best for "falconquest".

Someone suggested Dynaco... awsome US stuff... Prima Luna, awesome Chinese product, Atmosphere, great... the list is long and well documented.

Please take your time and read, listen and plan... It is not a Race.

After many years of Dynaco, Eico, Quad and similar large(r) scale  production tube amps, I eventually bought Japanese kits and had them assembled with Maximum quality upgraded parts (transformers, tubes, resistors, cases etc...)

It will take you more than a few years to find what suits You and not what suits The Dealer or Your Friends.

Arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can and Enjoy the Journey

I've had lots of experience with Chinese tube gear. In fact, I'm listening to one right now. I will say this. Most, if not all sound muffled and dead. The sound never seems to come out of the speakers. It's as if you placed a large drape over your speakers. Some are better than other but do not compare to US or EU gear. 
They could be a diamond in the rough if you know what to look for and if you know a bit about circuitry. 

Both my pre-amplifier and power amps have been guttered and the circuit redone with better  components and a simpler design.  
In my case, I wanted to build a 845 single ended amplifier and decided to get one from China as a starting point. It was cheaper than getting the parts separately.
There are sites that talks about these modifications such as Tone Lizard and others. But if you're like most, your dealer is right on his recommendations. 

Good luck. 

I own Chinese equipment, and I have no problem with purchasing it. Still, I'd never buy any 845 amp from unknown, dubious Chinese manufacturer, seen these issues for years with 845's. We're running nearly 900 volts here, very demanding of quality parts, design. I'd be wary of some of these push pulls as well.

Less problematic would be lower power tube amps with point to point wiring. I'd always look closely under the hood prior to purchase, get someone with expertise to check for you if not  experienced in these matters.

We see ever improving Chinese equipment over the years, stick to the well known brands, let others  take the risk with the unknown. The good stuff will persist in market, the others will disappear.