China built tube amps

Well I had an interesting conversation today. I contacted a large dealer and let him know I would like to buy a certain integrated tube amplifier that is made in China. I was told he wouldn't sell me one. He said they are all junk.  Prima Luna, Line Magnetic, Cayin, etc, etc, he said forget it. If you want a tube amplifier buy an American or European built unit that can be serviced.

So, I am new to valve amplifiers and I want to try one to understand what they're all about and sort of get my feet wet with tube rolling etc. I don't want to spend a lot of money at first which is why I was looking at Chinese built integrateds. So my question is, without getting into any particular brand other than what I have already mentioned, what is your experience with Chinese built tube amps? As a whole are they reliable? Am I wasting my money if I buy one according to this dealer? I have to admit I was rather taken aback by how adamant he was. Thoughts anyone?

128x128falconquest

Relax dude! 
I’ve owned Primaluna gear and they are fantastic if paired with the correct speaker in the correct room! When I lived in a cold climate

with a large home tubes were great! Now resettled in Florida tubes lost out due to the heat factor!

lots to consider- but making a decision based on country of origin is a bad move!

Consider the parameters 

the room

the heat 

that tubes need changing and that could be problematic too

also consider your music source 

lots of solid state units that can give the tube experience less the heat/tube factor

Peachtree, Cambridge, Rotel ( yes Rotel) are very pleasing full sounding amps!

Don’t try to satisfy a budget ! Expensive alone does not mean easy listening!

I’ve been down the “Rolls Royce” pathway !

this field is saturated with snake oil

what is important:

zero fatigue 

a good music source

High impact crisp hi and punchy bass are cute but to be able to turn it on and sit back and enjoy the music is what counts.

Bei g restricted to a sweet spot is not fun-

i just went through a metamorphosis and got lucky

with my gear and the room and now I can enjoy music and read at the s  as me time - zero fatigue and not bright 

Nevertheless, different gear will have a different acoustic footprint but we all need to relax and enjoy the music. 

What is seldom talked about is a conditioner!

where I reside the electric source is a mess and v noisy. I purchased a conditioner

from Furman and it made an audible difference. One of the few “tweaks” that was worthy!

this year I purchased a Streamer, an integrated amp, a turntable, and speakers that were all refurbished from the manufacturer directly! I did not save anything- I just spent less! Many manufacturers offer outlet or b stock items with full warranty. This is probably due to consumers who can decide what to buy and return. If one looks carefully refurbished gear is plentiful from any manufacturer!

I only wish I did this over the years!

But the line conditioner was a good find!

I suggest that all get familiar with what is humanly audible vs what is pushed!

Can we hear the difference between a file that is 44.1 vs 96 vs 320 sample rate?

can we hear the difference between 15, 18 , 24 or 32 bit rates of the same music file ?

it’s time to enjoy the music-

I’ve got a McIntosh Mc275 and all the McIntosh tube are made in China...
I bought it in 2012 and just one week after it worked one of KT88 has burned and one of a 12AX7A of my C220 preamp. wicht it was replaced by a SOVTEK "made in Russia"
All the tubes are McIntosh’s brand but made in china...

Forget China! Member autospec (Will Vincent) builds and sells here on Agon nicely modded Dynaco ST70's. The ST70 holds the record for "most produced and sold" tube amp ever! I own an original along with one of Will's SET 45's. Excellent craftsmanship!