Speakers vs. headphones

I’ve spent many, many years building a stereo system that I finally can say I’m satisfied with, but recently had to make a change due to a complaint of “too much noise” in the house.  So, headphones were the answer.  
After just a few days of listening with a middling headphone (HIFIMAN Ananda) and inexpensive DAT (Firefly Cobalt,) I find myself enjoying (and getting into) the music  more.  Of course my system objectively is much better and cost light years more.  However, I find there is a certain intimacy, seemingly being closer to the music, and of course no distracting audible room effects to deal with. 
I’m not giving up speaker listening but what a pleasant surprise.

Who knew?

128x128rvpiano

Like I said, once you make them your own.

The best setup has two unique systems, both with remote control from the seat position.

Yes a great headphone system is very enjoyable. Overall you can achieve a similar level of detail and overall sound quality for 1/10th the cost (see my two systems, click on my ID). However, ultimately a room system can do stuff that headphones cannot. I had brought my headphone system home from the office and started upgrading it until it reached a really amazing level of performance. Then I went back to my main system and just had to ask, “why does’ t my main system sound that good (tonally and musically?” Then additional upgrades to my main system.

Ok, so $100K later I have two amazing systems. I am luckily can play either without disturbing anyone. Overall, I am happy with the outcome. But watch out, if you are an audiophile… well a headphone system can be truly astonishing… think upgrading all components… and I’d you beat your main system the disease could spread there.

I’m retired, both systems bring real joy to me. But watch out… it may cost you. A great headphone system is really amazing!

Who knew?

Quite a few of us knew. A good headphone amp and high end headphones can give surprising performance and is like getting a second system. I use mine about half the time compared to running loudspeakers.

Ironically, the headphones have made me listen to my speaker system with more concentration. I’m enjoying  the music more and appreciating its quality more.