Impressions of Coincident Speakers

Wanted - Impressions of Coincident Super Victory III

Would like to find individuals owning or hearing the Coincident Super Victory III (or other similar Coincident Speaker Technologies speaker) and / or the Devore Super 9 speaker.

I am in the market for a new pair of high sensitivity / high-flat impedance curve speakers with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms or greater. 1st order crossover, highly dampened woofer, etc.

I’m researching Devore Super 9’s and Coincident Super Victory III, so if you can describe tonal accuracy, treble and bass specifics, scale, stage/image, coherency, etc would very much be grateful for you taking the time to add to this forum your views on these speakers. It will mean a trip to SFO to listen to the Devore Super 9’s and since the Super Victory III’s are sold factory direct, my only option to purchase of these speakers would not include listening to them, buying unheard (so to speak). I’m wondering if those 12" woofers are more tame then what a sealed subwoofer would normally provide. My current speakers follow the base line with well defined and articulate notes; and thats what I am looking for. I have neighbors, and knowing I may be disturbing them with thundering room pressurizing bass distracts from my listening pleasure. I have an REL R305 sub for those times when I want to feel the kick of a bass drum and need the option of turning off subterraining bass. Coincident specs the speaker goes to 28Hz and the woofer is well damped for tube amplification. Any views / info regarding bass of these speakers would be very helpful in my selection between the above reference Devore and Coincident

My current speakers are Sonist Concerto 4, Genertaion 2, driven by 30 Watt P/Pull Class "A" (mostly) EL34 (Ars Sonus Filarmonia, with Jupiur Copper Foil / Bees Wax coupling caps)

Front baffles of speakers are approx 5’ from front wall, 9’ apart tweeter to tweeter, 3’ from side wall (center of tweeter to side wall. I sit 10 to 12 feet from front baffle of speaker. Opens up to kitchen behind where I sit, about 22 feet to wall behind my seat. So basically the entire area is 15’ wide X 37’ long, speakers on the narrower wall (15’)

I have purchased a LTA ZOTL 40 Integrated W/ EL34 Mullard tube upgrade. The LTA will be the primary amp in the new set-up.

Thnx

Brad

128x128bradf

@bradf 

My woofers face inward in my current setup, yielding a much better in room response (via listening and measurement), than facing outward.  Room is approximately 14.5 feet wide by 21 feet long, suspended wood-frame structure (I still miss my old cement floored room).  I have tried placement on both long and short walls and have oriented the woofers in both directions in both configurations. I wound up on the short wall where the speakers are around 9' apart, and close to 4 feet from the rear wall, with some toe-in.  I would say I listen in 'mid-field'; I don't use the stock spikes - Isoacoustics Gaia I footers made a huge improvement.   Experimentation is certainly necessary to achieve correct  placement with side-firing woofers; perhaps more so than typical front-firing woofers.  Happy listening.  

@bradf Depending on how far the speakers are from the front wall, I sit between 10 and 12.

I think currently Im sitting about 10' with the front of the speakers out 5 feet (approx) front baffle to front wall.  One limiting factor is I really can't move my seating any further aft, due to a division in wood and carpet flooring. The aft legs of the sofa are near the edge of the carpet.

Hi Brad,

I really suspect that 10 to 12' sitting distance will be fine for you. Although the Total Eclipse II are not identical to the Super Victory III, they share 1st order crossover design and Coincident similarities. Israel Blume does insist on certain philosophical and implementation ideas  that I believe apply to all of his speakers. 

I sit 10 ' from my speakers and the vast majority of the time I cannot place the music on the face of the speakers.  In other words the music seems to be everywhere but the speaker location. Now of course this varies depending on the recordings in use.  My point is that the speakers effectively disappear in the listening room with good placement and totally affected only by the. recording limitations. 

Just have this experience last Night. The musicians were either in my room or I was seated in their recording venue (Again it varies on the recording). Bill's suggestion of using a software program is an excellent idea. I did not but I just got lucky with my room😊. Brad thanks for your kind comments above and I wish you the best in this endeavor. 

Charles 

@bradf I think the SVIIIs will be fine out 10-12 ft.  If your listening position is fixed, that certainly makes the speaker placement protocol easier because it reduces the multivariate problem by one element, and a very important one at that.  In my room, the optimal speaker position was a little closer to the front wall, which if it holds true in your case, could get you another foot of breathing room between you and the baffles.  I'm a bit more optimistic about you getting a satisfactory sound with the SVIIIs if you are willing to use REW measurement.  

@brownsfan

I’m a bit more optimistic about you getting a satisfactory sound with the SVIIIs if you are willing to use REW measurement

+1

Charles