DAC Question: Delta-Sigma vs R2R

I have a general question, I am looking to buy my first standalone DAC, right now I have an Azur 851N, which is a streamer/DAC. As I look I continue to see discussions on Delta-Sigma vs R2R DACs.

I am in no way an audio expert nor do I have a good understanding of electronics.

In Laymen terms, Could anybody explain what is the difference between the 2 technologies?

mod_asored

I agree with adding a LOKI Mini+ to your system...$149 from Schiit......also the Topping e30 for the same price is an excellent valuefor a DAC.....or for a little more, look at a Denafrips Ares 2 with the cover off...very impressive and the phase control button is an incredible feature to open up the width...depth and height of the soundstage. (R2R) ....No need to spend more.

@buddyboy1 the Topping e30 for the same price is an excellent valuefor a DAC.

I can confirm that about the Topping E30.

I recently made my Rega Saturn CD player the transport for such a one.

It is the only thing I changed (plus adding the necessary el-cheapo no brand 75ohm digital coax cable).

I dare not mention anything about any superlative changes in what I hear or I may lose any shadow of credibility that I may or may not have with the multi thousand dollar boys and girls.

I went with a FPGA dac for many reasons:

* it’s software based so you aren’t locked in with todays technology. Try adding MQA support to a dac that didn’t come with it from day 1, it’s almost impossible.

* the designer/software writer of the dac can update the software of the dac that can give you better sq with every release.

The  hardware technology of the dac does make a difference since I only use Ethernet or i2s inputs, the only inputs that sound any good

I have an Azur 851N as well, but also have the Schiit Loki. The addition of the Loki is all positive (no downside at all). I also, just recently, added the Synergistic Research MiG's under the 851N, and am blown away at the improvement they made, so much so that I feel I now have an upgraded DAC, and no longer certain I need to upgrade it. FWIW - you might want to consider these two additions before replacing the 851N's DAC.

Post removed