Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano

pryso, missed your question; sorry about that.

You are exactly right; so that not all the stands of (in this case) violins have to turn the page at the same time.  Notice that the violins with pages 1&2 of the music showing are also on the outside, closest to the audience.  Optics.  

This is the job of the orchestra’s music library.  Photocopying page 2 of the music which is often on the backside of page 1 makes it possible to have both pages visible without having to make a page turn.  Sometimes music publishers don’t pay enough attention to where it makes most sense to put a rest written in the part and the player is forced to make a very quick page turn; sometimes even in the middle of a phrase forcing the player to have to play a measure or two from memory.  

Of course, in any given score not all instruments have the same number of notes to play and while the violins may have two pages of music in the first movement of that concerto (as is the case in this work) a different instrument or section of instruments may have all the music for that movement on just one page.  

Hope this helps and best wishes.

Holliger is a fantastic musician ! 

Doing a lot of conducting these days .  Some think Haydn did not write this .

NOBODY  questions  who played the oboe .

I dont own this one Holliger.... Incredibly beautiful...

Words fails us in new ways...

Thanks...