Speaker selector that won't degrade sound

Is there such a thing?

Seems like many of them have relays or protection devices in them that will affect sound quality.  Could I make one?  

The reason for one is that my system is now a hybrid, my 2 channel setup and HT setup use the same front speakers.  Have an Onkyo AVR with no pre-outs and a Schiit Freya+ as my 2 channel preamp, so no way of doing a HT bypass so I want to use a speaker selector and have both feed into the selector.  Right now I literally swap the speaker cables at the back of the speaker.

blkwrxwgn

I am also interested in hearing from the pro's on this subject.  I'd like to run outdoor patio speakers off of my main system in the living room.  To do so, I would have to run about 25-30 feet of speaker cable through the wall to my amp.  I have heard of and seen pictures of an Adcom speaker selector, but don't want to mess-up the signal on my main system.  Don't know if the Adcom would do so.

The alternative for me would be to move the office streamer and Dac/pre to the patio and use powered speakers with 10 feet of rca cables and 10 feet of a single speaker cable.  I have an Ethernet connection on the patio but, would have to move the system inside whenever it rains.  Not my first choice.

Theoretically, all switches will degrade sound quality, only you can determine if you can hear the difference in your system.

My suggestion is try one and find out

Specialty AV SP71

Most transformer coupled tube amp need a load connected to its output when it is on, so some sort of protection is needed to prevent accident.

imhififan

1,679 posts

Theoretically, all switches will degrade sound quality, only you can determine if you can hear the difference in your system.

My suggestion is try one and find out

Specialty AV SP71

@imhififan that's actually the switch I have, I'll give it a shot.  What's is depressing is that I have all this expensive speaker cable and then I'm going thru THAT!  Kind of a waste I think.

@tump350 I gave up on the old school way of having outdoor speakers being part of my main setup.  Nowadays for outdoor music I'm using my phone to select and control music, so I went with outdoor Bluetooth speakers.

Much easier.