How important is the cable between the SUT and phono pre?

I know when using a cable between a MM cartridge and the phono pre it's very important to take into account the capacitance of the cable for cartridge loading.

I don't recall seeing a discussion on the importance of using low capacitance cables between a SUT and  phono pre.  

I picked up a Denon Au-340 to replace my Denon AU-320 in my system and the AU-320 has built in cables that run to the phono pre, hence my question.

Is there a way to figure out the capacitance requirement for this cable or is it not that important? Will a good shielded cable work fine?

I don't want suggestions on some high dollar cables, that will never happen. I have about 15 or 20 pairs of cables that I picked up over the years, I can always go through the pile and measure the capacitance if necessary.

Thanks

BillWojo

billwojo

MC step-up transformers explained

Transformer ringing

"The capacitance of the cable connecting an mc step-up transformer to the following phonostage also plays a part, which is why the interconnecting cable should be a low capacitance design and kept as short as is practical."

Hi @imhififan, he's basically explaining a zobel like I mention above, and some generic advice that may or may not fit a circumstance.   However, transformers do not reflect secondary load C to the primary.   

However, transformers do not reflect secondary load C to the primary.   

They absolutely do reflect any capacitance seen on the secondary by the turns ratio squared.  Say you have 150pf (50p cable + 100p input)  at the secondary of a 1:20 SUT.  This will appear as 150*20*20 or 60,000pF or 60nF or 0.06µF to the source.

dave

Would love to see a cite with a detailed technical explanation.  I can’t find one, equivalent models I can find don’t show it, and a couple EEs I’ve talked to say it doesn’t.  Repeating a formula is not an explanation.