What are you using as a streamer? Constructive feedback please.

Wondering what improvements I can made to my streaming end and what you all are using.

Not looking to rip CDs and I mostly listen to vinyl.

System right now is:

Node 2 (latest version used streaming only with Roon)

Bel Canto e.One ref DAC 2.7

Bel Canto e.One ref CD3t Transport.

Bel Canto e.One ref 501S (best Class D to date to ever grace my system)

Mini GaN 5 ( had to try it and swap it in and out)

AM Qualiton X200 Tube Integrated (love it and gets most use)

QLN Prestige 5 Speakers.

All cables and wires are Signal Cable.

Appreciate the constructive feedback.

Have a great day.

128x128jerryg123

Unless you are having software problems, all streamers will sound alike.
Zeros and ones. .

In a perfect world yes but in reality that’s not true. The voltages that are represented by ones and zeros have residual values that distorts the signal.

Personally I use a fanless I5 PC and the USB out. My DAC manufacture provides a specific USB driver and I use Fidelizer to further reduce OS and component signal interference.

Windows Remote PC allows you to control your software . App from almost any device. Sounds better than the Raspberry PI with the ALLO digiOne.

I’m still not a robot but may be more android than ever.

@danager, In a perfect world yes but in reality that’s not true. The voltages that are represented by ones and zeros have residual values that distorts the signal.

And what effect exactly does that have? How much distortion? Does that effect USB, Ethernet and SPDIF/I2S, or only one or two of them?

In a perfect world yes but in reality that’s not true. The voltages that are represented by ones and zeros have residual values that distorts the signal.

Oh poppycock. The stream of bits coming out of my Raspberry Pi’s USB is identical to any streamer mentioned in this thread.  Everything down stream from the streamer makes the difference in SQ.  If what you say is true, you could never restore a computer backup.

Roon

NUC w/2 SSDs

Custom LPS

Bridge to isolate and distribute the computing load (bridge = Rpi Ethrernet in USB out)

Custom LPS for that

Isolation on USB

--> DAC; either DAC powers USB or i have yet another very small LPS to power just the clean USB side.

Most people are surprised digital can sound so -- well like nothing at all.

So what's important?

1. The network - wire it, no wifi

2. isolation of noisy computers from DACs.  Isolated interfaces, independent power.  This means not just +5 rails but grounds.

3. Timing at the DAC chip - generally not an issue unless you use SPDIF, which is one big reason i don't, except for TV etc.

The rest is pretty much irrelevant

One of the big improvements of the Raspberry PI 4 was to separate the USB bus from the ethernet bus. Why?... Because of the noise of the shared bus. PI 3 was still able to backup your hard drive as a computer bit (a switch) isn’t as prone to noise as an bit converter.

i haven’t tried a PI 4 but requiring a fan because the extra heat it produces made me go a different way.

The PI2AES was a I2s interface that blew away some of the top streamers unfortunately they aren’t being made and probably will incorporate the technology into a much more expensive products.

Here is a post on how to improve the USB signal for sound reproduction and it works for me.

Fidelizer 8.8

Not a robot but I do dream of electric sheep