What are your favorite recordings that sound best to you?

What would be the best sounding records you have ever listened to that sound best to you regardless of its genre, pressing, mastering, label, value or a technology used to record it?

esputnix

Patricia Barber's albums are recorded extremely well

Re-issues of the Impulse! jazz recordings, such as Oliver Nelson's The Blues and the Abstract Truth

Blue Note XRCD such as Hank Mobley's Soul Station

Lots of good recordings from all eras. In general, I really like material from 1950's into early 60's, still using tube equipment in recording studios. The way some of these recordings sound so real, palpable, with ease, sense of relaxation. The most analog like digital gets.

I agree with whipsaw.

Any album of Patricia Barber are perfect for critical listening.  They are available in Master quality audio as well.

@esputnix - regarding your statement

What would be the best sounding records you have ever listened to that sound best to you 

Mainly older recordings, many of them with clicks and pops, that fade into oblivion once the music starts. 

They are mainly tracks that centers around a vocalist(s) that have ethereal qualities supported by superb musicianship, all captured by sound engineers that really know their craft, to bring you a very life like representation of what was being recorded.

Artists like:

• Joni Mitchel
  • Jethro Tull
  • Steeleye span
  • Chris Barber
  • Paul Butterfiled
  • John Mayall
  • Rye Cooder
  • Taj Mahal

There is a simplicity and rawness about their music that makes me return to them again and again and the harmonies of Jethro Tull and Steeleye Span are inspiring  - many modern artists could learn from them

Few artists today have that same impact - perhaps Ed Sheeran is about as close as it gets.

There is one Diana Krall album that brings her into my listening space, complete with piano.

It's amazing what a good system and a glass of Single Malt can do :-)

These are the artists that I return to over and over, because they make their music interesting each time I listen.

I'm sure there are many others.

Regards - Steve