Products you added to your system in 2021 that made most impact to your music enjoyment

As 2021 comes to an end, just thought it would be cool to share some of the most impactful audio upgrades in your system this year?
Here’s my top 5 list…

1. Pass Labs XP-12: Upgrade path was from Rogue RP-1 to Rogue RP-5 and then to Pass XP-12 that was the final touch. Huge improvements across the board. Mates well with my Rogue ST-100 tube amp.

2. Phono Cartridge: Goldring E3 MM to Hana EL MC. Clarity, presentation, dynamics in spades!

3. Phono Pre: From the built in phono pre in RP-1 and RP-5 to MoFi UltraPhono to Sutherland KC Vibe MkII. Lowered noise floor, increased resolution, dynamics. The KC Vibe MkII is almost double the cost of the MoFi and it’s the one of the few upgrades where an improvement was proportional to the cost difference. At least in my system. Records that seemed noisy become more listenable. A great little phono pre. 

4. Audience AU24sx speaker cables. These speaker cables are a clear window into a recording. Nothing hidden, nothing exaggerated. 

5. Power Cords: Acoustic Zen Gargantua for preamp and amp. Lower noise floor, increased resolution, natural sound, expanded soundstage

Honorable mentions:

1. Acoustic Zen Absolute Copper interconnects. In my opinion the AZ cables don’t get the respect they deserve on these forums anymore, overshadowed by some of the “flavor of the day” newcomers (without going into specifics on brands).

2. Puritan PSM156 power conditioner. 
3. Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable.

4. Lumin U1 Mini

5. MoFi LP#9 Stylus Cleaner. Better than the Onzo ZeroDust although I still use the Onzo between the sides. 

128x128audphile1

Biggest upgrade change this year was upgrading my turntable to a Schiit Sol and went total overkill and put a Benz Micro Zebra L on it. Holy shnikey that thing is good. Like I said, complete overkill but I really wanted to see what the difference was in skipping a good level cartridge of a 2M Black or Hana SL vs jumping up another tier. Now I get to slowly upgrade the rest of the system around that.

I think two changes were most important, added a second dedicated line for my amp (as opposed to the original which now just powers the rest of my components). And a Silent Running Audio Ohio++.2 isolation platform for my Linn LP12 Turntable. Also at MC’s glowing reviews added Nobsound isolation springs under all other components. The sum of all of these have noticeably improved my system.

Replacing all gear footers with the appropriate sized Isoacoustic Oreas.  Upgrading speaker cables to the amazing high value Wireworld Equinox 8. 

ModWright PH 9.0X phono pre. I’m really enjoying this, a big jump up in performance from the previous amp and a very worthwhile addition to the system.

Upgraded from Bowers and Wilkins 702 S2 speakers (nice speakers) to Legacy Focus XD speakers (in another world - Wow)

Added Mini dsp with Dirac Room correction (another very noticeable improvement)

And now here is where I will lose you all; and its too bad because until you do it, you will have no clue of the absolute pleasure I get from this: re-incorporated my vintage 1980's, $200 Carver C9 Sonic Hologram Generator into the system as I have done with every upgrade and still..... consider it my most important piece. There..... I said it!!! Thank you Bob Carver from my home state of Washington. Genius!