a remarkably basic question about Roon

I'm considering trying out Roon and, despite hours spent on their too-busy website, I'm still not entirely sure what it would do for me. (Trying to get through their "support" section is an exercise in misery all around.) 

Here's my clueless question. I currently stream music through a Bryston BDP. I use the Bryston software, "Manic Moose," on my laptop or phone to create playlists, move between digital sources (flash drive, Qobuz, radio), and as a remote control for volume, song choice, etc. The Bryston software isn't at all elegant but it's functional.

So, if I get Roon, would I be doing the same thing from the Roon app on my laptop or phone? Would I be completely bypassing "Manic Moose"? and doing everything on the Roon app, including such things as volume and song selection? I understand that Roon is an effective organizer of music from multiple sources; is it also a "media player?? (I have a traditional two-channel set-up and don't do multiple rooms.) The Manic Moose software is clunky enough that I'd consider swapping it out for Roon, if that's in fact what I would be doing. 

Thanks! 

northman

@mapman 

I have an Antipodes S30 server/streamer and use Roon.

I remember reading on the Antipodes site that Squeezebox is sonically superior to Roon.

When corresponding with their technician, I mentioned that I wasn't prepared to move away from the excellent Roon GUI presentation and was happy with the sound. The Antipodes tech said that using Roon with Squeeze player is totally viable and will/should result in better sound.

I haven't tried that yet but I will.

I also have a Bryston BDP-2 and recently added ROON. ROON does pretty much the same thing as the Bryston by using a PC. I like the way the Bryston works as I can easily queue up a lot of CDs and with the consume command I can listen all all my music easily, without repeating tracks. I find the Bryson is easier to use and more flexible than ROON. Where ROON shines is when streaming from Tidal or Qobuz and how it blends my CDs with the streaming services. If you are only listening to your CDs I would stick with the Bryston. If you are using a streaming service ROON can be easier to use then the default streamers app. If you did not already have the Bryston, I’d recommend a Intel NUC and ROON over the Bryston.

Roon actually had/has a 90 day free trial which I just took advantage of…..

I’m not sure if I were simply running any various music app, Spotify, Amazon, or whatever, if I would bother with Roon. Don’t get me wrong, I love Roon, but it manages my NAS and the way too many songs it has on it. I can use other software, but Roon is brilliant at linking things together and “learning” how I navigate and my preferences. It does do multi room as well and that is definitely a cool feature. It also has some good DSP functions that can be helpful if you need such things. Worth the free trial right now IMO.

Roon also has a good crossfeed feature if you ever listen on headphones. (It's why I subscribe.)