Suggestions for CD player $2-3k used?

I am looking for a CD player/source in the $2-3k range, used. primarily for Redbook CD playback. Other equipment consists of Aerial 9, McCormack DNA500 and VTL 5.5. I like players that have a coherent, natural sounding presentation and do not overemphasize any portion of the frequency spectrum. I do however like players that offer deep, detailed bass and lively dynamics, although I would prefer to stay away from players with on overly up-front or "in your face" presentation, and those that overemphasize the upper frequency range. Players I have considered include;
Meridian G08 (good reviews, like the looks but hate the remote)
Cary 303-300
Ayre CX7e (overly tipped up toward the high frequencies?)
Modded Sony or Denon players - Modwright?
Electrocompaniet EMC-1Up/mkll (does this compete with newer units?)
McCormack UDP-1 Deluxe
Resolution Audio Opus 21 (is this unit dynamic and detailed?)
Sim Audio Eclipse (older technology?)
and lower priced players;
Classe CDP-10 (could be a bargin?)
Sim Audio CD 5.3 (can't find out too much other than from mfg's website)
Any further insight on my choices, or other suggestions would be appreciated.
mitch2
Post removed 
consider the cec line, especially the 51 series. probably will cost under $1200. consider the metronome players and an older audio aero capitole. there may be other tube players to consider as well.

how far back are you willing to go ? do you insist on current production players only ?
I have been very pleased with the Ayre CX7e. Very lively sounding player. I wouldn't say tipped up in the high frequencies but it's definitely not mellow. Solid bass is another strong point and I suspect that's partly attributed to its oversized power supply. Slightly forward of neutral in my system but not in your face. I'm seeing these sell for under 2k used.
Mr. Tennis, I would prefer to stay with newer technology due to the steady advances in digital playback, improvement in parts quality available to the designers, and potential for older transports to break or require repair. The first three listed are probably my top choices right now since they are all well-reviewed, from good companies, and all have balanced outputs (I am considering switching to an Atma-sphere preamp so the balanced outputs would be nice-but not absolutely necessary). The McCormack is another possibility, but would have to be the deluxe model. The Ayre worries me a little since it is sort of the "flavor of the month." I do like American built equipment for the ease of getting repairs or upgrades without shipping out of the country, but if the Meridian is as good as they say, it would still be a contender. I would appreciate any feedback from those who have tried a couple of these units head to head against each other. Thanks.