Is the Audio Ref-6SE worth 7K more than the BAT VK-80?

Greeting all,

I looking to replace an venerable Sonic Frontiers Line Stage Once Pre-Amp. I been looking hard at two products. The Audio Research Ref-6SE $17K and the newly released BAT VK-80 $10K. 

These will be mated with a Pair of EVO-400's set up as Mono-Blocks and re-tubed KT-150's I like their snap over the stock EL-34's. My tastes in Pre-Amps is it has to be good with vocals but so overly warm and syrupy. That it cannot flesh out the detail within and recording, or sacrifice tightness and punch in the bass. In short it needs to provide resolution over sweetness. The Amps drive a pair of Legacy Focus SE speakers. These things do not like anything in the signal chain that fattens the low end.

Music preference are Rock, Metal and Classical. Think: Pat Benatar, Heart, Def Leopard, Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, Metallica, Bach Organ Works, and Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture and you get the picture the bombastic material I like.

I enjoy how both Pre-Amps mate with my system. However, it seems that Ref-6SE dances with my setup a little better that the BAT. My crackpot theory, is its more at home with sonic character of  the KT=150's which is what their Reference 160-M/S amps use.

Nonetheless, The BAT's build quality is more impressive, and I feel I really get something for my $10K. So it seems to me that I am paying a lot for that Audio Research prestige, than quality. Not a fan of a $17k Pre-Amp that comes with a plastic remote. That to me is a major turn off. So what other chintzy things are they doing with this component, in order to increase their profit margin?

Any additional thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

walkertm

@cleeds4. Thanks for taking the time to respond and setting me straight.I am am a fan boy of ARC, and really needed to know that they have not started to chintz out o Really glad to have this pointed out to me. Thank You, THANK YOU. ARC now ships with a nice metal remote. ARC offers Ref 6 owners who received the plastic remote the new metal remote at no charge. Perhaps that tells you something about the state of ARC today

. When I refer to the Italians I am referring designer Livio Cucuzza who I believe is the Chief Design Officer at McIntosh Group that comes from the Sonus Faber arm of the group’s holdings. My wording here is very poor, so my apologies to all. This is no way should be construed that I believe Italian engineering to be sub standard. Though it certainly came off that way. Pathos and Sonus Faber make wonderful products, that are top notch in both design and quality.

The concern is when things change hands. Design goals and priorities change as well. To my point, think of early Dan D’Agostino designed Krell’s versus the Krell amps of today. I find that they are not engineered the same way, and prefer the build quality and sound of those early products.

I am very much an Audio Research fan. All of my equipment is now ARC Reference. I have spoke to Trent indirectly several times. He is going to do a great job in keeping ARC at the head of the high end pack. I would unhesitatingly recommend ARC products. I have heard many more than I own.

@sbank 

"In your shoes, I'd look for a used Rex. I've seen them goes for <$7500. Cheers,"

Spencer

Excellent suggestion!

Charles 

I haven't heard any Bat gear. However I did own a Ref 5 pre. But after hearing the LS 28se i put it in my system. Paired with the Prima Luna Evo 400 and an Audio GD 7 he mk2 for digital the sound is simply fantastic. Speakers are Kef R11 and Tyler acoustics Halo Extreme. They both sound fantastic.

Interesting question for me as well, because I was in a similar situation but with an updated SF Line 1 SE+.

I looked everywhere for its replacement including BAT and ARC, PS AUDIO, Macintosh, etc... and when it came time to pull the trigger I bought an old but extremely well cared for SF Line 3, then immediately had it updated to an SE + model.

So glad I did, because to be honest the 2 component pre is still 95% of the AR 6SE, which was the winner of all that I had tested previously. But my total cost was about 6k CDN.

If I were to buy new I would have no doubt bought the 6SE.