What’s hot in monitors from $2K to $3K in 2012?

Hi folks… yeah, it’s been a while and this looks like my next quest. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’ve been out of the loop for a bit.

I suppose I’m looking now, for some monitors to use as mains for audio mostly but for some movie time too. About 60/40 split, music – films.

They should reach down to 35hz flat. Disappear. Be neutral and as transparent as is possible for speakers at this level. 8 ohm preffered. 90db sensitivity should work, give or take a db. Imaging too is a biggie for me… but always, always, it’s about naturalness. Lifelike. Organic sounding.

Room is about 14 x 20 with speakers on the short wall. Power is by 150 – 170 wpc amps, depending on the mood. Currently it’s either a 150 x 5 Butler multi, or a 170 wpc Odyssey Stratos plus SS. Hopefully I’ll add a good digital pair of mono blocks later on like BC 500s.

Floor standers or stand mounted will work, but prefer something on stands I suppose. I think I’d like that look better.

Thanks for any thoughts on speaker choices within this criteria… or near it.
blindjim

I apologise for the delay folks. The main reason I’ve been away from here was/is health and of course those nasty security issues. Been back and forth to the hosp lately a fair bit and will be going back soon again.

So again, I am sorry for not following up sooner.

I recall saying:
“Floorstanders or monitors”
“$2K to $3K”
“Thanks for any thoughts on speakers in this creiteria or near it”

Guess I should have added, NEW or USED to my initial post.

SORRY! I kind of figured that as understood…. Or someone would have said as much. My BAD. People often have in the past.

I have a Velodyne DD 15. Maybe I’ll add some other sub later on… who knows?

PSB was a thought of mine going into this parade as a short list item. AZ too.

I’m not terribly keen on waiting some indeterminate time frame for anything… or big on those hot to go new releases which don’t release… on time or at all. It bugs me too much and makes me worry about any later issues which could crop up with them, so I often dismiss them from any of my searches.

I own Silverline SR 15’s, and a couple other pr of monitors. One pr of floorstanders… and have owned a few pr of other decent speakers. What is printed on the spec sheets and what happens in house often seem to be different things. Sometimes by a wide margin.

I see a lot of press on the Vapors. Super. But again, awaiting a pr of units for some time with my $$$ previously tied up in them bugs me. Sorry but it does.

I heard some of the AZ florstanders which run at $6K retail and felt they did well. Huge room too. But on all EAR and Einstein gear with isoclean supply. Reckon they should have sounded good.

40in tall isn’t too big. My Silverline Sonata IIIs were that tall. They weren’t imposing.

I’ve seen tuned port 2 or 2.5 way floorstanders (ala AZ floorstanders) that can kick out the bass. Although I’m not seeking speakers which run sans sub ((s) either.

Higher eff speakers ordinarily lay a stage about themselves. Not always rearward of their driver planes. They yield a better front row seat for the rendition too. It’s partly why I felt higher eff units a good idea. Plus I like tubes. My Butler uses them and bi polars. I might get another 50 – 75w tube amp yet again. Then too, there’s the fact now and then though not as a rule, one has to twist that fun screw up to 2 or 3pm !!

I’ve not regularly seen units that can truly jump which boast 85, 86, or even 87db sensitivities. Often too, 4 ohm units dig power and the power I have, though adequate. Isn’t IMO ‘substantial’ enough for me to risk damaging any speakers I own.

So the thoughts on speakers included here are most welcome… if the above helps clear things up and others come to mind as alternates or as USED market items which weren’t previously posted, do chime back in and add those. It would be appreciated greatly!!

Again, sorry for my tardiness in responding…. jim
You can probably find some variant of the Merlin VSM at the price point you state. They are a small-footprint floorstander that uses EQ to meet your low-end requirements.

Good Luck,

Marty
I mentioned the Vapor Aurora because it sounded most like what you're looking for, they're building something else for me. But I remember talking with Ryan about that design, he said they have 2 pair ready to ship ... no waiting.

J_fav

That's cool And is appreciated. I'll give 'em a look see in the AM. Thanks.
Those Dynaudio Focus 160 monitors are getting an awful lot of good press lately.