Devore Nines and Daedalus Athena comparison?

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare these 2 speakers. The Daedalus speakers look intriguing.
taylor514
I've heard the Gibbon Super 8 a lot, and the Athena (a friend has owned both).
Me and the 8 man audio group I belong to that has heard both, all agree the Athena is a very big step up. Bass is deeper and more powerful, but that is the least of it. The midrange on the Athena is truly magical- really 3-d, and the highs are less loud but extremely refined and filigreed. The whole speaker is cut form one cloth, and is very engaging by ANY standard. One of finest sounds I've ever heard, and they are very decor and spouse friendly to boot.
Lovely, handcrafted instruments. If I was to make one more speaker upgrade, I think they would be my choice. At their price, they are a bargain compared to any competition I know about.

Jmbatkh, I would expect the Athena to be a big step up from the Super 8. The Nine was a big improvement for me over the Super 8, in both midrange and bass ... a similar result as you and your friends had with the Athena and Super 8 comparison.
I've been looking at Daedalus for several years, really like Lou and the Athena is just the right size for me. But at shows, I always find them to sound too soft on top (same with Devore, come to think of it). In Newport, they sounded kind of dead. I suppose I like a more incisive treble, but maybe it's the show circumstances. I'm not sure which tweeter Lou uses, but it doesn't exactly look like a leading edge device. How do you Daedalus owners feel about the treble? For comparison, can you identify any other brands that are similar-sounding up top?
Drubin - I agree that the Athenas sounded slightly muted on top. That was more perceptible with certain recordings than others. Still, I found them very nice to listen to.

So much of this is affected by the ancillary equipment and the room, as of course you know. Also, I'm not a Daedalus owner, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. Or a tablespoon.

Bryon

Drubin, if you heard them with one of the Modwright amps, it is possible that the amp would play a part in creating that somewhat "soft" sound you are hearing. I think Daedalus and Modwright team up for these Audio shows. Interesting comment regarding the tweeter and I look forward to more comments from owners. A lot of great replies so far!