Cost of Turntable vs. cost of Phono Stage

Is there such a thing as keeping the costs relative to one another? I'm sure there will be some variance because not all equally priced Turntables are of same quality as each other and the same will go for comparatively priced Phono Stages, but generally speaking I'm curious about this. 

I just ordered an EAT C MAjor and I am looking for a comparatively equal quality Phono Stage. Thoughts?

rickytickytwo

I have had really good turntables for about 30 years. VPI Aries (Van den Hull Frog) and now a contemporary Linn LP12 with a Koetsu Rosewood Signature cartridge. Over that time I had well chosen phonostages that ran from20% to a bit over 100%... I definitely recommend 100%. Depending on the exact setup. The gains I got from Phonostage upgrades were huge. I can’t tell you how many times I tried highly rated "cost effective" phonostages that sounded terrible... I mean even at thousands of dollars.

We are talking in cost... this is why I added "well chosen"... meaning within that price category I chose the best and most compatible with my system, just not anything, since that is a recipe for mediocre performance. If well chosen you are getting the most for your money.

Right now I am running an Audio Research Reference 3 Phono-stage ($17K) with my Linn rig, about the same cost... I think they are well matched. While all of Audio Research products are audiophile, they are most known for Phono-stages and Preamps.

Assuming  you are planning on improving your system over time:

Given what you are buying, I would go for the best you can afford... maybe a used Audio Research Phono-stage. See if you can get a used PH8... you will not have to worry about this getting in the way of anything you attach to it (you might have to settle for earlier versions). I think this is the real sweet spot in the ARC line. You get better spending more, but the slope of the line between cost and performance flattens.

Right. My first phono stage was the ARC PH3SE. It was $2500, almost exactly what I paid for the Basis turntable, and Graham arm. Each. Back then I was already into budgeting but people misunderstand budgeting. The right way to do it is like ghdprentice says above. It never once crossed my mind, "You have a $5k turntable you must find a $5k phono stage" or anything like that. Wrong way of seeing it.

A better more sophisticated view is with an aim to building the whole system. I must have auditioned a dozen phono stages. All highly recommended by the way. Everything from Lehman Black Cube to EAR843 and all the way up to an even more expensive Linn. I thought the PH3SE would be the pick based on reviews but was hoping and praying to not have to spend that kind of money.

In the end, because I did get the right one (and not the "budgeted" one) I was happy with it for nearly 20 years! So long what I paid so long ago hardly matters. If I had followed the budget guide the way a lot of guys do I would have settled and upgraded, settled and upgraded, in the end spending easily more money while going with mediocre sound almost the whole time only getting there at the end.

The phono stage is easily the most demanding hardest job in all of audio. Get the right one and it will last you a very long time. Mine lasted me through 2 turntables, 2 arms, 3 cartridges. So budgeting is much more a guideline than a rule. Where it shows its true value is when people use it to put as much into wire as other components. But that is another one for another time.