Does Time alignment and Phase coherency make for a better loudspeaker?

Some designers strive for phase and time coherency.  Will it improve sound quality?

jeffvegas

the powered KEF 50 use DSP to correct the passive KEF 50 impulse response...somebody at KEF thought that a worthwhile thing to invest effort into....hmmmmmmmmm....

All the DIRAC like systems doing phase and time correction make for a largely time and phase coherent system.

I suppose DIRAC would not exist, outside of the physics and math useage, if the majority of speakers had nice impulse response right out of the box?

What's the deal with the usage of " time and phase" ? Aren't they the same thing or I'm thinking of the wrong thing being discussed. Anyway with the Dutch and Dutch 8c there is a linear phase mode and a reduced latency mode which turns off the former. Outside of a heavily treated monitoring room or anechoic chamber you won't hear a difference, even then it's very subtle. 

A simple experiment can be conducted to testify if the time alignment affects anything audible. Take a pair of speakers that you think have a good image, tilt the front panel back and take a serious listening again to see if the imaging gets thrown off. Conduct the blind test with the help from the 2nd person if necessary to eliminate any gussing game or mental effect. To me, I need to admit I could not hear any difference. However, at the same toeing angle, tilting them back does change the soundstage slightly.

Every speaker manufacturer needs a hook, a set of claims to sell speakers. Nothing new.