Ridiculous assertions that someone is being ripped off or conned

How many times has this scenario played out here? Someone purchases product X, and tries it in their system. They report positive results, that it works as advertised, that they got their money’s worth, that they are happy with the purchase. Then someone, usually having zero experience with the product, replies with something like: “No, you’ve got it all wrong! You’re being ripped off! You’re being conned!

Does anyone else understand how ridiculous and absurd these kinds of assertions are?! The consumer who actually put up their own money and took the time to evaluate the product in their own home/system reports it works as advertised, they are happy with it, that they got their money’s worth. Then someone else claims they were ripped off?!

Imagine an agency investigating consumer fraud getting a complaint like this: “My neighbor is being ripped off!” “No, no, he thinks it’s great, does everything he expected it to. He’s very happy with it, but I just know he’s being conned!” Do you seriously think they’re going to open any kind of investigation into it?

You can disagree with what someone says about the effectiveness of a product all you want, but to say they have been defrauded, when they report the exact opposite, is patently ridiculous.

tommylion

In seeking a "better" version of musical truth from their systems, there are some who are willing to try and/or buy items and/or different set-ups. There are those that, for whatever reason, seem threatened by the very existence of said items/set-ups and insist that the person reporting their experiences of what they heard cannot possibly be correct.

The majority of the naysayers haven't tried what the reporter/poster has, nor do they have a comparable system in a comparable room or, more importantly, don't have the reporter/poster's exact hearing and audio experience. To claim that the very act of trying something (paid for or not) different automatically makes the observations invalid due to bias is ludicrous. Even if you are a professional reviewer who doesn't have to pay there are still expectations, but expectations are not always bias.

So we are left with a process where a person tries a tweak, new piece of equipment, etc and in trying to share their experience and maybe even validate it a little, gets jumped on as somehow lying, being an unqualified observer etc.  It is at this point where a differing opinion becomes an attack that the line is crossed, and that's where a moderator should feel free to silence the antagonist for the good of the forum.

I understand the valid points that are made in the above posts about necessary moderation and censorship...

But the less censorship there is the better it is IN THE LONG TERM...

I dont like some forum where all people are tailored on the same "technological" implicit closed minds views...

Audio is too complex " adult" matter to be censored...Like Politics....We can censor children around a table though...

I dont like to be consider a children to be moderate... Extremist troll will die anyway in any serious discussion or will be relegated in his trench...

Audiogon is good like it is, tolerant to all....

Asking censorship of troubled and troubling people is not a good idea save in very extreme case only....

"Meaning.. threads where people discuss tweaks, or mods or cables and so on, if a naysayer posts there, and interrupts the discussion, in any way, they get their posts deleted. And...if the given naysayer can’t hold their tongue, after said deletion-ish warnings..... they will, rapidly, via any repeats in behavior, find themselves banned from the forum. They have to grow up, or get lost."

OK so I start a thread talking about the stupidity of $60,000 speaker cables and their unprovable science and benefit to cost ratio. Since I started the thread does that mean if you jump in there with your unscientific harrassment of my position what you advocate can and should be applied to you?

I never cease to be amazed at the number of people who want to censor all opinions other than their own, which of course are the only correct and valid ones. Talk about narrow minded and insecure this sure fits that bill.