E.A.R. Acute Reliability

I am considering the purchase of a used E.A.R. Acute CD player. However, I am concerned about its reliability. What has the experience been in this regard, particularly with regard to the transport?

I am also considering a Modwright 9100ES, for which Dan Wright assures me that parts are readily available.
airfla
Rja

Thanks very much for your recommendations for tube rolling on the Acute, but I decided to go with the ModWright.
This response has nothing to do with the Acute CDP - I've never seen it let alone heard it. However Tim P's response to the inquiry about the lack of an instruction sheet or manual is, I think, a good reason to do so to the extent that it sound consistant with my experience with EAR.

I have, but have not used in a long time, an EAR 834L line stage. I bought it, and appreciated it for its sonic signature. As HP said, reminiscent of my ARC SP10. But there the difference ends. This thing is one of the most poorly constructed units I have ever encountered in high end audio, right from the quality of the case, the imput selector, and cross talk from other inputs to the poorly attached RCA outputs. And, when trying to identify the correct tubes to use and their assigned sockets I could get clarity from either EAR, its then distributor, nor the 1 page instruction sheet which was inaccurate. Personally I would never buy from EAR again no matter the sonic potential.

FWIW :-(
This response has nothing to do with the Acute CDP - I've never seen it let alone heard it. However Tim P's response to the inquiry about the lack of an instruction sheet or manual is, I think, a good reason to do so to the extent that it sounds consistant with my experience with EAR.

I have, but have not used in a long time, an EAR 834L line stage. I bought it, and appreciated it for its sonic signature. As HP said, reminiscent of my ARC SP10. But there the difference ends. This thing is one of the most poorly constructed units I have ever encountered in high end audio, right from the quality of the case, the imput selector, and cross talk from other inputs to the poorly attached RCA outputs. And, when trying to identify the correct tubes to use and their assigned sockets I could get clarity from either EAR, its then distributor, nor the 1 page instruction sheet which was inaccurate. Personally I would never buy from EAR again no matter the sonic potential.

FWIW :-(
As I noted above, I have had an EAR Acute for about 7 months. No, it did not come with an instruction manual. But since it was based on an Arcam player, I downloaded the Arcam CD73 instruction manual to understand the function of the buttons on the remote as well as the commands that the CDP would accept from a universal remote. I also have an EAR 859. As Rja mentioned, Dan Meinwald is very responsive.
"I purchased one of Dan's CES 2008 demo units which will be shipped to me directly from Las Vegas when the show is over. I can hardly wait."

Hi Airfla,
I purchased the other demo unit, also after considering the Acute, exciting isn't it. Waiting is really hard, but at least you'll get yours first as I opted to wait for the Bybee filters. When you receive yours, let me know what you think. Well, here's wishing us luck.

Regards