Can You Hear Me Now

In an interview with Laurence Borden of Dagogo, Dr Earl Geddes talked about the ability of people to really have golden ears. In his work at Ford, he tried to gauge how good the ten member golden ear panel was. I will let him tell you his findings. “For the most part the study concluded that this panel was “not capable.” In other words their judgments could not be relied upon to be statistically stable. That said, there were two members of the ten who were capable, so it was possible. But the real point here is that someone is not a good judge of sound quality just because they think that they are – all ten members would have claimed that they were audiophiles and good judges of sound quality.
After several more studies along these same lines, I came to conclude that the more someone claimed to be a “golden ear” the less likely it was that they actually were.”  
That got me thinking: how many of our members would belong to the group of eight and how many would be with the two who could really hear. Interesting reading. The full interview can be found here:
https://www.dagogo.com/an-interview-with-dr-earl-geddes-of-gedlee-llc/
N.B. Dr. Earl Geddes is one of the pioneers of the Distributed Bass Array system. His work on the subject is well known. 
spenav
For me, the question is not "Do I have golden ears?" but rather these:

"What are the conditions for proper listening?"
"What are the specific qualities to listen for?"
"How can I test myself to know that I'm attending to those qualities properly?"
and,
"What is the vocabulary to affix to said qualities?"

The very phrase "golden ears" is like the phrase in baseball pitching, "rocket arm."

I probably possess neither, by nature. But I want to listen better. That's what it means to be an audiophile -- to try, intelligently.
 Thanks very much....

I wish i would have written a so wise post....

My best to you.....
There is more in sound perception and interpretation by the brain than just what measurements pointed to and more than what is the effect of some loss of hearing related to age....

Musical sounds in particular are actively "CREATED " and not only passively perceived by a complex translation mechanism in the brain ....

Then i concur with this wise post:

We may not be able to hear “perfectly” but we can feel the music and will keep tweaking in order to feel more!

@wsrrsw
That’s the paradox of the life we are in, isn’t it? The youths have a lot of energy but don’t know what to do with it. We can appreciate beauty and relationships now but lack the manpower to fully engage in it, if you know what I mean. We can better afford the gears that we want now but are slowly losing our hearing faculties. We really cannot win but by golly, I am going to enjoy every second I got left, so help me God.
@wsrrsw
That’s the paradox of the life we are in, isn’t it? The youths have a lot of energy but don’t know what to do with it. We can appreciate beauty and relationships now but lack the manpower to fully engage in it, if you know what I mean. We can better afford the gears that we want now but are slowly losing our hearing faculties. We really cannot win but by golly, I am going to enjoy every second I got left, so help me God.
If someone know all there is to know he cannot and will not create something new at all immersed in the universal knowledge...

If we create something new, a new perspective on/in the cosmos, we can and may do it because we are " limited " and constrained by our past freedom here and now...Indians called it "dharma/karma" wheel....

Then perhaps to be bown and dying is related also to freedom and not only to fatality....

Thanks for your wise post observation...

My best to you....

«Some slaves chose to be slaves and  they are the real slaves»-Anonymus Smith

«The only blindness at the end is blindness to our own blindness»-Daniel Kish called  "batman" because  being born blind  he teach echolocalization to blind children to help them  navigate alone and freely  the world....