That Other Audiophile Website

I purchased a cd player from a seller on that other audiophile website. When I took it out of the box it reeked of cigarette smoke. I contacted the seller and got nowhere. I contacted that other website. I was told it's the buyers responsibility to investigate the seller before making a purchase.  I gave the seller a negative review. My review was removed, and I was banned from making further comments about my experience. Almost a month later I'm still trying to get a refund. PayPal is going to try and help me. Talk about unethical. Anyone have a similar experience?
tominnj
You know the flip lid on Rega CD players?  They make for a great ciggie ash tray.
I, as well, once purchased a used cable that arrived, absolutely stinking of cigar smoke....i cleaned it well with alcohol, and let it "air" for several days in my garage....all was well after that.....though I agree "shame on the seller", most smokers have no clue how their habit permeates everything around them
Was it the cable that reeked, or was it the packaging?
A cable (or a CD player) isn't like upholstered furniture or the inside of a car. I don't see how these things can retain enough persistent tobacco odor that a little wipe-down can't remove. Wouldn't it be just as much trouble, at least, to box the thing up and return it?

Hard to fathom why people are still troubleshooting the cigarette smell. To my mind, @jerryg123 has exposed the OP as up to something fishy/trolling.
The bottom line is when you buy used gear it's due to the seller wanting to get rid of it, for whatever reason. I hate when the seller claims(multiple paragraphs) how great the product is but is only selling to upgrade(who cares). Best advice buy from a quality dealer preferably a demo unit to avoid any problems.