Tube vs solid state (with all apologies)

So… I’ve been building guitar amps for a few years… and very familiar with tubes and circuitry…  and just entering the audiophile world. 
Is there a definitive opinion or discussion somewhere for help in determining where and or when to apply either?
smolder
Tubes if you are a hobbyist and like to fiddle around and roll them and deal with problems (how often depends on the amp). You can get a great sound for solid state with no hassle. My motto KISS.
When it comes to reliability questions in the tube vs. solid state argument, I can only say that over the years I've gotten more reliability from my tube gear than from my solid state gear. I ain't gonna name names here, but if pressed I might lose my composure and begin to blab.
Use tubes wherever you need to amplify a signal and wherever you rectify a signal. 
@edcyn - clearly you are the exception. Please let us know the SS amps you had problems with and the tubes that are super reliable, long lasting and maintenance free (for decades without periodic tube replacement).
First off, I admit to being on my third set of tubes with the PrimaLuna integrated, but to me tube replacement for tube gear is the equivalent of getting an oil change or new sparkplugs/brake pads for your automobile.

On the tranny side, I've had trouble with two NAD integrated amps (one a 3020, the other a larger model I can't remember which). A Transistronics preamp. A Marantz integrated (I can't remember which). A Moon phono stage (I can't remember the model). Sorry I can't be more specific here, but memories of failed stereo gear thankfully fade into the past for me. Finally, yes it might have been a mechanical problem and not a transistor problem, but I also went through a Marantz CD/SACD player that, one day, just decided to stop playing one of the formats. 

I must also say that I'm not including noisy volume controls or switches that I could easily quiet with a dose of Deoxit.