B&W Matrix 801 Series II

There is a pair for sale in my area for $2000. Anyone have an opinion on these speakers? Are they good sounding speakers or just okay? I believe they are pretty old. My interest in them is because they are local so no shipping and I understand B&W makes some very good speakers. Thanks for the help.
wemfan
I notice these are "reference" amps. What exactly is a reference amp? I see that popping up from time to time. The amps look good and that would certainly be a good price. I will add them to my list. Thanks....
Well, if you're gonna go over $10k, then again the Pass Labs X350.8. And sure, call Pass Labs about it just to be safe.
Wemfan, the "Manley Reference" line was VTL's "premium" line while the designer David Manley was still owner of the company. When Manley terminated his affiliation with the company, his son Luke Manley took over the co., and EveAnna Manley developed the Manley line as a separate co. I think I got the history right.

I have owned a pair of Manley Reference 200/100 mono's for many years and can tell you that they are great amps; if you like tubes. Powerful (200w in tetrode mode) reliable, dimensional and full-sounding amps with good bass and that natural midrange quality that only a tube amp gives; IMO. Not as squeaky clean sounding as great solid state amps, but......
Not as squeaky clean sounding as great solid state amps

I recently took my 6 year old digital player and 6 of my CD's to a brick and mortar (B&M) store in Toronto to hear it with a current highly respected DAC. Digital Analog Converter.
The Amp and Preamp were current Pass Labs products.
Speakers were Gerswhin's.
The sound was very squeaky clean. I would not tolerate my digital player for 15 mins in my room like that.

I attributed it to the room /speaker setup and the fact it was digital. I walked away without a clear sense of what is better for me unfortunately. So it just goes to show there is no substitute for audition in your own room.

Frogman - my Krell is anything but squeaky clean sounding. :^)

This short thread is any interesting read - I thought.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1226354800&read

Wemfan.
I was only a messenger on the PassLabs info.
fwiw - that review wasn't very good for me.
maybe I missed it but no room, sitting position info.
Also if any one is interested check the specs on the speakers used in the review. Not surprising imo he uses a sub.
I will post some thoughts later.
cheers