In praise of isolation.

Isolation as in components, not personal.

(although, that’s not necessarily bad either)

There has been much praise, and discussion on the forum with regards to spring isolation.

Well, all this praise, caused me to look into how to approach this for myself.

I like to try things before I pass judgment on an idea.

The whole coupling/decoupling thing has been of interest to me for a while.

I get the desire to couple (yeah, I know,,,) as it plants the gear firmly in the ground, and if the base is heavy enough and made of a material that absorbs vibrations, you should be golden.

Then there is the problem of 7.83hz. Nope, not audible, but that doesn’t matter. Anyone who has used a test record to check for tonearm resonance can see quite clearly how an 8hz frequency can make the tonearm shake like a belly dancers belly.

So, decoupling. Springs made logical sense. Except, there was the problem of vintage turntables with their springy/bouncy top plates/platters. That just didn’t seem right.

I made an isolation platform and put springs underneath it. Figured out the proper spring rate and ordered 4 springs to support the 90lbs sitting above them. 
It’s crazy the clear and obvious difference it made. For the nominal price of $100 for the 4 industrial springs, the sonic improvements were off the charts! When coupling, and making changes to the materials used under the TT, and the types of feet used, there was a difference with the clarity of the highs, their brightness and with the bottom end being muddy or lacking depth.

With the springs however, the whole presentation opened up. Everything sounded better, clearer and more defined. Faster, less shrill and I could go on.

Not only am I divorced, but I’m a firm believer in decoupling.

(see what I did there?)

Damned 7.83hz…
perkri
I’m a believer now.  I just added a picture and a paragraph or two on my system page. I made my own speaker isolation platforms using hardwood butcher blocks and coil springs.  Imaging is more focused and the clarity much improved.  I am blown away by the improvement. Wow. Just wow.  A very big bang for the buck tweak.  
I can't believe anyone could hear vibration.
@larry5729 - I am astounded that you believe you can hear anything that isn't a vibration, directly caused by vibrations, and perceived by vibrations. It's entirely vibrations that we hear.

Hello Perkri,

What is it with spring companies and their love for the cheap ultra low-end spike?

I saw the same demo a few years back and could not believe their unethical approach to a sound demonstration. 

Think about it, a “multi-hundred dollar” set of springs tested and compared next to an “eight-dollar” set of spikes. The fix is in before note one is sounded!

I hope your opinion favoring isolation theorems and springs is not based on this degrading type of display.

Robert

Sound engineer for Star Sound      

I have never heard any spike, expensive or inexpensive, whatever materials, perform as well under loudspeakers as well tuned springs.
I have Smalleys wave springs that cost me something like $25 , they sit between my 92lb stand mount speakers and approx 90lb stands which are now (not always) on conical shaped steel spikes.

If I ever hear spikes produce as clean a sound as springs, rest assured I'll man up and declare whatever truth I can hear.

I am sorry you have not heard it, experienced it, however it's a very cost effective vibration control device, used in all transportation sectors under vehicles for that very purpose.

The concept simplified, is that if an object is moving relative to your position, the sound emanating from it will have variations of pitch. One very notable sounds is that of a formula one race car, as it approaches, passes and leaves, has a distinct sounding change of pitch.
Allowing the enclosure to expand inwardly and outwardly whilst maintaining it's position relative to center of gravity, the smearing is lessened, or removed.

Done correctly, sprung isolation is very effective, and highly audible.
I hope perkris opinion is based upon favorable personal experience, which has been repeated by many others. Other Agoners who have used both, have shared that Star Sound are an effective technology as well.

Cheers,Rick

@rixthetrick - Of course you are aware that Robert sells Star Sound products, including Audio Point spikes.  Their points, stands, and other products have many enthusiastic customers.  I have owned several of their products and years ago Robert talked me into purchasing Audio Points to replace the hardened steel spikes (intended for Ramset anchors) that came with the Sound Anchor stands under my 100+ pound speakers.  The Audio Points worked fine, as did the original Sound Anchor spikes, as did the edenSound Bear Paws I have also tried - however, I could never distinguish any sonic difference whatsoever between those three types of footers/spikes.

It seems Robert is referring to an Audio Show demonstration by IsoAcoustics that might be similar to this oneThis one from Credo Audio is also interesting in that it compares more conventional springs with spikes.