B&W Matrix 801 Series II

There is a pair for sale in my area for $2000. Anyone have an opinion on these speakers? Are they good sounding speakers or just okay? I believe they are pretty old. My interest in them is because they are local so no shipping and I understand B&W makes some very good speakers. Thanks for the help.
wemfan
****After trying both the Parasound and the MAC I can hear that I need a really good SS amp with an appropriate amount of power. ****

Wemfan, could you elaborate on that comment? Earlier, from your description of the differences between the sound of the Mac and the Parasound, one would get the impression that the Mac sounded much better to you:

**** ..... how much more definition and clarity the MAC had over
the Parasound through the B&Ws. The Parasound was also a little muddy. ****

Do you feel that you need a good ss amp because you think that only ss will give you enough power, or because you have changed your mind about preferring ss attributes vs those of tubes?

My recommendation of the VTL was precisely because that is an affordable used alternative that will give you lots of power with good bass control (a typical ss attribute) and, being a tube amp, classic tube attributes like dimensionality and fullness of tone through the midrange. You describe yourself as a "tube guy"; then why ss?

Now, for a bit of unsolicited advise of the kind that is difficult to express and can be misinterpreted; so, I apologize ahead of time:

Remember that you are on an audiophile forum. Audiophiles most certainly also "like things that sound good" and "how music sounds is important" to audiophiles also; that is the nature of the beast. Having said that, it is also true that, generally speaking, musicians tend to give priority to certain sonic attributes. In my experience, and as a musician myself, those tend to be in the areas of midrange (especially lower midrange) fullness and micro dynamics; hence my recommendation of something like the VTL's. As a musician who has been poking around this forum for some time I would encourage you to not dwell too much on the presumed differences between how musicians and audiophiles listen to music; it will ensure the best dialogue and best advise.
Thanks, Dave. I will check those amps out.

Frogman, The MAC did sound much better to me. The Parasound is just not as quality of an amp as the MAC. It has nothing to do with SS VS tubes.
I like tube amps but I also like SS in audio. I am just thinking along ss state lines partially because of power ( more headroom, etc.) but maybe I am wrong? When I said I was a tube guy it was in reference to guitar amps which is a whole different world than stereo gear.

Now to address your "unsolicited advise"... nothing I said could possibly offend anybody but obviously you are the exception. I am the nicest guy you ever met but I never indulge those that are looking for the slightest of reasons to be offended.
Not offended Wemfan, and I did not suggest anyone else would necessarily be offended. It was simply a suggestion based on my own experience. As I said, this is the kind of thing that is difficult to express. If my suggestion offended you, my apology.
I want my studio to roll my socks up and down every time I turn something on in there.

Wemfan - is there a budget range you would like to stay
within to do this?
You're welcome, Wemfan. Another amp would be the Luxman B-1000f monoblock amplifier, but that is quite expensive, I believe. It is rated to go 2000W into 1 Ohm.