Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Yeah, rok2, rvpiano & schubert. The Blomstedt/Staatskapelle Dresden recordings have become my automatic go-to when I sign onto Idagio for some orchestral.
Beethoven

Staatskapelle Dresden - Blomstedt

If you want to hear the Bass lines and the Woodwinds, esp in the 2nd and 4th Movements of the 9th, this is the place.  Excellent recording.

Cheers
The Man himself conducting a Symphony always loved in casa Schubert, Sebelius 2.

That long thing after NDR =Hamburg Symphony , which is about as good as it gets .

https://youtu.be/wb3gsiKBAjA?list=RDwb3gsiKBAjA

When you see profs of that level giving the conductor all he wants you are at a Masterpiece !
One of the most moving Mozart Piano Concertos I have heard !
B flat major KV 595

https://youtu.be/vlooWcPIakY

The sound is as good or better than anything I have heard on You Tube .
 The strings are better than most live concerts I've been to and every thing else is superb !

Facts are facts , you want to hear a Germanic  concert get a Germanic band .
A big plus 1 for Blomstedt and one of my favourite new pianists Piemontesi. I  attended a live concert with him as a young BBC young musician and he played Beethoven's Piano Concerto No 4 in G Major and it was wonderful for someone so young , I knew straightaway that I was listening to someone special. I am so glad he is now such an accomplished pianist.