B&W Matrix 801 Series II

There is a pair for sale in my area for $2000. Anyone have an opinion on these speakers? Are they good sounding speakers or just okay? I believe they are pretty old. My interest in them is because they are local so no shipping and I understand B&W makes some very good speakers. Thanks for the help.
wemfan
Hi Tls49
I disagree with your bi-amping suggestion, as this will create a coherence problem.

Here's my take on it.
for myself my Quad 57's with the RM10 amp are very coherent and are a mid frequency reference for me. They help keep me honest to myself and in check when I play in this hobby.
I have always needed to hear things for myself.
So, if I already own the gear needed; and what I am thinking of doing will NOT:
1) blow up my speakers
2) make my amp/s self destruct
3) cause other harm; like make my dog run in circles

then I say - go for it and give it try - as you will learn first hand what this sounds like yourself.
Quite a time ago I tried biamping with two different amps.
It sounded ok not perfect, but it did give me a glimpse of what having SS on woofers and Tubes on mids and tweeters can sound like.
If I wanted to go further with this it would have required an expensive active crossover. I didn't pursue it further.

Cheers
Hi Wemfan - look forward to hearing how you make out; whichever speaker direction u choose. Cheers

Ct0517, I absolutely agree to try different things, as that does allow someone to learn more about this crazy hobby, and I have done my share over the years. However, some things can be like trying to climb a greased pole, and I refer to this comment in the link I posted,

"This is not to say that it can't be done, but having it turn-out well and actually conferring an advantage is difficult and unlikely in the extreme."

In your bi-amping experience, I do agree an active crossover would have helped, but IMHO, the different rise times and slew rates of the amplifiers would still compromise the coherency.

Wemfan could try it, and as long as everything is connected correctly, I can't see harming anything. He did say he was looking for something clear and musical. I doubt very seriously that clarity would be a characteristic of this set up.
Fwiw...Maggie 1.7 replaced a speaker that was Class A rated for over a decade...the 1.6.