If you have a "kick booty" DAC, does the transport

really matter as it is just a "reader" correct. Am I over simplifying it. When you plug your player into an outboard DAC don't it bypass the internal dac and stuff and shoot it to the outboard? Isn't the laser just reading the 1010101 on the disc and shooting the data to the DAC? If this is true can't a Joe just get a whatever player with coax/i.r./esbu out and just invest in a high horsepower DAC?
mtandrews
Mel, true about the reclocking the data thing, but,
Truth is, It is limited to the quality of the data it's fed. It starts from the Extractment of data from the media.
;c)

Anthony
Anthony,

I am persuaded that, aside from the timing (important to audiophiles), a bit is a bit. Why do I think that? Because the CHEAPEST CD ROM drive can provide a PERFECT set of bits to a computer hard drive every time. If that were not true, and it made a mistake with only ONE bit, the computer program copied would crash.

So the bits are there, and a modern reclocking scheme can feed them to the converter chip exactly as intended without reference to the "extracting" unit.

And my ears tell me it works.
I have used an old sony CDP75ES (1991) as a transport via toslink out to an ultrajitterbug which reclocks and converts it to a digital coaxial out to my McCormack dac-1 deluxe. I've also used a modified PS audio lamda 1 transport (lambda 2 specs with new laser and board) to the McCormack dac alone and also through the ultrajitterbug. The sony is very good through the ultrajitterbug (terrible without it) but the lambda is still better used alone or through the ultrajitterbug. It is smoother overall with a more natural treble, and better defined lower midrange and bass. The transport does make a difference especially the clock function (jitter control) and output amp section.
Here is something semi-technical to read:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm