DAC That Punches Above Its Price Point

I’ll make it short. I’ve spent some hours reading the DAC threads on this forum. I am aware quality of digital matters as superior DACs usually the costlier ones will sound better than cheap DACs, making music sound more analog, lifelike, real, believable with all the soundstage and detail etc. All the good things. There are some who thought it’s the music that matters, and although different DACs may sound different it’s the music that makes the most difference. In other words, the differences that exist between DACs are not that important as it's all about the music. I can see the point that people are trying to make.

Back to the topic. I’ve read great things on the Denafrips Ares II and Pontus II, and other costlier high-end DACs. I’ve read about the Chord DAVE. I personally own a Chord QBD76 and have no urge to replace it with anything else since it sounds splendid in my system, for the money. I may be setting up another system and was wondering if there is a DAC in the lower price bracket that punches way above its price point, sounding close to if not better than the costlier designs.

I presume the Audioquest Black, Red or Cobalt are not worthy of consideration and sound noticeably inferior to the costlier options? FWIW I tried the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC and this one really sounded poor to my ears. Very digital sound and I stopped listening to it after a while. The Chord sounds a lot more analog, lifelike and real to my ears.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

ryder
"measurements …. mean zero”

...being analog circuitry design engineer, I disagree with such attitude. if performance of audio devices cannot be measured, it cannot be designed to perform, or to be improved/manufactured as well. Good “Ole” days, “fair” sound check was done a “blind way”, where "sensitive ears and minds" didn’t know what exact device was used to produce the sound.  

I would love to hear “blind listening” comments on this topic.
@westcoast, let me clarify: measurements mean zero to me. If you are hung up on measurements then measure away but ask yourself if you are measuring the right things.

Please explain how you measure something that we respond to at an emotional level. Sure measurements can get you in the ball park of good performance but are no guarantee of good sound. Also explain how two different amps that measure exactly the same can sound quite different.

I can swap out a cap of same value in a speaker crossover and never mind 'blind', you would have to be deaf not to hear it but the XO point, it's knee and it's rate of attenuation will be the same and therefore measure the same ... but it sounds different!

I had a Codex… it replaced an Ayre QB-9…
sold the codex and bought a QB-9 DSD…
far more pleasant to me..

Last year I sent the QB -9 in for the twenty upgrade.
also bought a benchmark DAC3…

The benchmark is excellent, but digital to my ears. Extremely articulate with very tight and forceful bass response.  However in my system the detail retrieval Comes at the expense of a relaxed presentation..

The QB-20 ayre is amazing…
Very revealing and rich without loss of space and air.
soundstage is definitely deeper than the benchmark too..

If you can find a used QB-9 the upgrade results in a remarkable DAC..IMO..

Beware…it’s takes forever to sound right/ break in…
I almost gave up on it…

SSD Mac mini..D-link switch with an LPS..blue jeans Ethernet to ether regen running in reverse to an optical rendu (Krespi LPS powering both) audioquest Diamond USB cable to the Ayre QB-20 balanced out to Pass XP-20, to Pass 150.8 to Fritz Carrera Be and an REL Gibralter Sub..