why can't I make a digital recording of a DVD?

I'm looking for suggestions on how to make a digital recording from a digital music DVD. I have a yamaha CDR-D651 with an optical cable running to my receiver, which the DVD player is also connected. The owners manual on the recorder says I can make a 1st generation copy, but it simply will not record in digital- says "can't copy" on the menu. Any solutions or suggestions? thanks!
gibson58
Post removed 
"didnt there used to be a thread that stated the Samsung HD841 was trying to get pulled from the market and threatned with litigation because it did not block a copy transfer?"

Oh, that little $99 jewel of a universal player I picked up at Best Buy makes me happier by the day...
Maybe the solution is simpler than all that. Do you have the output on your DVD player set to PCM? Maybe the CD player is choking on the Dolby Digital bitstream.
Hudsonhawk, you were right- I had it set to dolby digital and when changed it to PCM, was able to make the digital recording. Awesome! Thanks for the tip.
Ok, new problem. I got the DVD's that were recorded in dolby digital 5.1 to record to CD by changing the player setting to PCM. I've got a few concert DVD's that were recorded in PCM, not dolby digital, and now they won't record. Any ideas? thanks!