Questions on Overhang/Cartridge Alignment using Dr Feikert Protractor on VPI Classic 3

So I recently bought a used VPI Classic 3 that came with a low hours Soundsmith Zephyr 2 cartridge.

I wanted to make setup as accurate as possible so I bought the Dr Feikert Protractor.
I first make sure that the Spindle to Pivot length was correct which I read online was supposed to be 258mm.

See pic below.

This was measured by taking off the tonearm and measuring exactly from the spindle to the bare sharp point of the unipivot point.
After that was done I mounted the cartridge to the arm and got the step 1 in perfect bullseye.

Step 2 however is where things get off.   I'm coming up about 2 mm long on step 2.

Step 3 is also off as its about 1.25 mm short of the line.

Here is a shot showing approximately the location of all 3 points.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this where it hits all 3.   I'm at a loss being that the Spindle to Pivot point is right on at the 258mm length which i was told is correct for the VPI Classic tables.
Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
newguru
OK i cannot get these imgur images to post but to your post wlutke, in order to have any movement on the protractor dont you have to remove the long part of the protractor so that it isnt going inside the tonearm any longer?  I cant see how the protractor would rotate if you dont do that.
https://imgur.com/a/ixbHTQO
See if you can see those images.
In step b, Remove the tonearm. Once you locate the protractor over the spike and tape it down, remove the pointer. You can then put the tonearm in place.
Would you mind saying what are steps 2 and 3, for the benefit of those of us who (1) don't want to do a net search right now, or (2) don't own a Feickert protractor, or (3) do own one (like me) but don't care to go dig it up to figure out what you are talking about when you mention steps 2 and 3.
One caveat: With the Feickert, the markings on the spiral scale are with respect to the pivot to spindle distance (P2S).  The stylus tip should rest on the correct P2S mark for your tonearm.  It can be confusing.  I own the older version of the Feickert, the one in white plastic with the fully circular template.  Maybe the later black one that is semi-circular is different.
Thanks man!  Once I did that it was an easy rotational adjust and the cartridge is perfectly lined up now on step 2 and step 3.   Probably should have read the instructions a few more times.  Totally my fault.
No, no, no, It’s not your imagination. The instructions are totally vague. I didn’t get it right the first time either with my VPI unipivot, Feickert 2 and Soundsmith cartridge. Glad you got it now.