Music Hall CD25, Onix XCD-88, Rega Planet; Others?

I'm in the slow process of upgrading all of my components, and am fairly new to the audio hi-fi world, although I really love music. My old Adcom GCD-575 CD player is slowly giving out, and replacing it has become the obvious next step.

I've spent some time browsing over Audiogon, and other audio websites searching for a replacement, and have somewhat narrowed it down to the Music Hall CD25, the Onix XCD-88, and the Rega Planet original. As you can tell by my selections, I dont mind used, and dont have much of a budget either. I've read many good things about all three, but would like other people's opinions.

A little about my listening experience: I have had a Sony 508ES player, as well as the Adcom. I also have heard the Naim player (which was fantastic), and the Eastern Electric MiniMax (which would be ideal, but out of my price range). I love the sound of vinyl, the visceral feeling and "roundness" is wonderful for me, so I do enjoy the natural sound of music (if that makes any sense at all). Ideally, I want a player, and entire system that is very musical. I listen to my system for hours on end, so the imaging, etc would be secondary.

My current system is a Qinpu Integrated A1.0x, PSB Alphas, and the Adcom GCD-575. The Qinpu is new, and has a slightly warmer tone to it, with excellent mid-range. The PSBs will also be replaced at some point down the line, perhaps with Paradigm Studio 20s.

So I'm really open to your suggestions, either for the above 3 options, or any others as well. Also, what is the relationship btw Music Hall, Onix and Shanling?

Thanks,
Clint
autre
Autre, like you I owned the GCD-575. Last year, after many moves, the transport finally gave out. I listened to the Rega and loved it, but it was also in a much higher end system than I owned, and even the used ones were more than I wanted to spend. The MH 25 and the Onix are identical and I was able to buy the Onix new for half the cost of the MH. It gives up only a little to the Rega and fits my needs perfectly, as CDs are secondary to vinyl for me. When I get the bug, the Onix is very tweakable, and can be greatly improved with a little work.

Viridian and Italian are correct about the quirks of the Onix transport - it can be pretty slow. However, it will read anything I put in it, which more than I can say for the Adcom.

Whatever you decide, you'll be amazed at the improvement you'll hear. The GCD was a nice piece in its day, but the Onix or any of your other choices will be a big upgrade.
Thanks for the info Armstrod. Sounds like the same thing is happening with my Adcom. Hopefully I can pick something up before it completely gives out. Well, now there are 3 reccomendations for the Onix. Its sounding pretty good. I auditioned a Music Hall 25.2 yesterday, and although it sounded great, there was simply no point of reference since the components used were quite different from mine. I've been waiting for an XCD-88 to come up here, but I havent seen one yet, although that CD25.2 for $350 sounds awfully tempting.

If any of you are selling any of these, let me know. I also have an Adcom GFA-555 that I'm willing to trade for, as well as other components.
Autre,

You might call AV123 and see if they have any B stock XCD-88/99s. That's how I got my 88 - it was never listed on their Web site. Their B stock stuff comes with full warranty. Good luck.
Autre. sorry for not getting back. I'm on vacation and PC access is limited. A guy in Indy made it up and I plugged it in. Cost $120. Two types of the 627, A & B if I remember. Bought the $10.00 more expensive, don't know if there is a real diff. But the op amp I beleive made a good cdp sound better. Op Amps and the adaptor, which you will need, are easy to purchase and possibly cheaper then what I paid. But when you put it in, you have to bend a capacitor slightly so it will fit. Not a problem. Hope this helps. Dave
Thanks Dave, glad you're on vacation, hope you're having a nice time. Thanks for the information. Now all I have to do is go out and actually purchase a player! Clint.