Helping a kid out

So long story short I got neighbor kid into audio and to appreciate listening to music on something other than a cheap Bluetooth speaker.  He’s pretty young but a good kid, a hard working honest kid.  So far he’s accumulated his old mans Dual turntable that I helped him clean up and installed an Ortofon 2M Blue on it, a nice but older Marantz integrated and a pair of Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 speakers.  I hooked him up with a pair of Kimber 8TC speaker cables I had retired a while ago (lol, probably making them the most expensive part of his system).  He’s looking to upgrade and I suggested trying out a dedicated phono stage.  I’m assuming his budget is in the $200 range and I told his old man I wouldn’t let him buy something stupid.  I had no idea the sheer volume of phono stages in this price range on the market.  What would you guys and gals suggest?  My knee jerk reaction is Schitt Mani and I read a few good things about a Bellari unit but holy cow the choices are infinite.  Maybe something a little higher end but used?  Extra points if it can be purchased from Amazon but that’s by no means a deal breaker.
128x12810229
Best thread on this forum all year 

A most worthy cause and would be glad to donate a used Pro-Ject Audio – Phono Box DC – MM/MC Phono preamp with line output with orignal packaging and instructions

You're doing the right thing on the Bottlehead route and he'll be happier with the results 

Having both would give him something to compare and start sharpening the critical listneing skills

Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll get the kit in the mail
I have a brand new Bottlehead Seduction with the upgrade that I can let go for $400. Never plugged in.

It was assembled by a Bottlehead technician, who also designs and builds tube amps, here in Seattle.
He gave me a package deal with a Bottlehead BeePre 300B preamp w/ the option (also for sale.) It has about 200 hours of use.

I am currently listening to a VAC Standard preamp w/ MC & MM and a VAC PHI 200 that I bought on this website not too long ago.

I have to echo what others are saying about these kits. There is something so satisfying and tangible about being involved with a build rather than just shopping for gear. You become intimately involved. I built a Bottlehead Seduction a number of years ago. The instructions were detailed and easy to follow. It was incredible fun to build, but even more fun to listen to. Years later, I upgraded parts which got me involved again, and brought new life to an already good thing. I've had a number of phono stages, but the Seduction is at the top of my list. The experience was so much fun that I'd like to do it again with a Reduction or Eros. 

I wish you and your neighborhood a great experience!
Post removed 
As many of you can sympathize, I’ve owned and built a fair number of phono preamps through the years and the best bang for the buck preamp I’ve had in my system is the Hagerman Bugle. The Bugle 3 is in your budget at under $200 right now and to my ears sounds better than the Bottlehead Reduction, Schiit Mani, and Jolida JD9. It’s customizable in that the op amps can be changed and the power supply can be upgraded (the latter of which I highly recommend.) A Bugle 2 full kit is also available for more serious customization for about $100 if that route is preferred. Good luck and let us know your decision!