Question on Denon DL-103 retipping options and preferences

I have been looking at getting a Denon DL-103 retipped and I have narrowed it down to getting it done by Steve at VAS or by Andy at Needle Clinic. 

Both companies approach to the DL-103 is very different and I am curious if anyone has heard cartridges from each or what you think that may be better for amazing sounding rock.

Steve recommends a wood housing and then will do a Boron/MR retipping, where Andy will modify the plastic housing on the DL-103 to convert it's enclosed outer body to a half nude body, lightening it up which he says will make it track better.  His conversion will be a micro ridge nude stylus (sapphire/boron cantilever) 

So as stated very different approaches, same cost for the most part, I have ruled Soundsmith out just based on time, I know Andy turns around in a day, but have read a lot about both so I figured I would ask the question to see where people lean more often.  I do already have an ebony housing, just want to get a cartridge that punches way above its weight.

If there is something I should look at outside the DL-103 I would be open to hear about it.

Just for the record this cartridge will be going on a SOTA Sapphire VI with an Audiomods series 6 tonearm and I have a McIntosh MP100 going to a tube rolled Schiit Freya+ driving by two Odyssey Kismet monoblocks and Martin Logan speakers.  
128x128justinrphillips
@justinrphillips:

I think that your approach makes perfect sense. A good way to get into the world of MCs is to do what you are doing.

Please don`t let yourself get discouraged by some of the answers here.

I have two retipped/recantilevered/modified DL 103s. Both sound different from the stock 103, and both sound better, IMO. One retipper who hasn`t been mentioned in this thread yet is a guy who calls himself Needlestein. You might google him. He works fast, and his prices are fair.

Regards tkr

@justinrphillips: I agree totally with what tkr says. Plus a LOT of folks like the Denon "house sound", it's why it's so popular.
I started with a Denon DL-103 because of all the great things that I read about it and to me it didn't disappoint. Several years later it still makes me smile and for the price of a new one I can get one of my broken ones rebuilt with a better stylus. I'm very happy at this price point. I'd be very upset if I messed up one of my carts, I'd probably throw my whole TT rig in the trash if I messed up a thousand dollar cart! I would be sick and disgusted with myself. I have no interest in playing in that field, good for the guys that can.

BillWojo

justinrphillips

Hi - I know the Audiomods arm, I have set a couple up, including one on a the top of the range Platine Verdier turntable,.

In my view forget about the Denon 103 standard or modded - the arm does not suit it.

For your budget for a MC under $700 my recommendation would be

AT33PTG/2 -this is an excellent cartridge with boron cantilver and micro ridge advanced profile stylus. It is very musical - around $650

ATOC9/XML - again this is an excellent cartridge with boron cantilever and microridge stylus - around $550

The AT33PTG/2 is a very well balnced, smooth, detailed cartridge that punches well above its price. The OC9/XML, again excellent value for money, has a little more bottom end punch than the AT33. Between the 2 its a choice of beautiful balance ( AT33) , or more punch (OC9). 

Although the OC9/XML is not the top of the OC9 range this is the most musical of the OC9 range, the microlinear stylus is not as finicky as the higher priced shibata which can sound brittle.
Same with the AT33PTG/2 - the micro linear stylus profile has the best balance of detail and not to bright or brittle.

My own prefernce of the 2 is the AT33PTG/2 - its a fantastic cartridge for the money. For reference I currently use Koetsu, Ikeda and Dynavector cartridges north of $5k but could happily listen to the AT33PTG/2.

Hi - I know the Audiomods arm, I have set a couple up, including one on a the top of the range Platine Verdier turntable,.

In my view forget about the Denon 103 standard or modded - the arm does not suit it.

For your budget for a MC under $700 my recommendation would be

AT33PTG/2 -this is an excellent cartridge with boron cantilver and micro ridge advanced profile stylus. It is very musical - around $650

ATOC9/XML - again this is an excellent cartridge with boron cantilever and microridge stylus - around $550

The AT33PTG/2 is a very well balnced, smooth, detailed cartridge that punches well above its price. The OC9/XML, again excellent value for money, has a little more bottom end punch than the AT33. Between the 2 its a choice of beautiful balance ( AT33) , or more punch (OC9).

Although the OC9/XML is not the top of the OC9 range this is the most musical of the OC9 range, the microlinear stylus is not as finicky as the higher priced shibata which can sound brittle.
Same with the AT33PTG/2 - the micro linear stylus profile has the best balance of detail and not to bright or brittle.

My own prefernce of the 2 is the AT33PTG/2 - its a fantastic cartridge for the money. For reference I currently use Koetsu, Ikeda and Dynavector cartridges north of $5k but could happily listen to the AT33PTG/2.
@dover 

thank you so much, I reread some emails from Jeff at Audiomods and reached back out to him and he said almost verbatim what you said.  I did a lot of reading last night between three models of AT’s two of which are mentioned above and decided I am 100% going for the AT33PTG/2 I think it will be a great place to start and when I get up to the Dynavector XX2 that is where I will move.  I need to learn my arm and pick what’s best for it