100W+ solid-state amps known for beautiful mids

Quad 909 back in the day had a reputation for the best mids running up to $5000. I've used it in the past and I would definitely say that the mids were the highlight on that amp. It wasn't overly coloured, a hint of warmth, but it had a purity and sweetness to its mids. Unfortunately, mostly everything else was okay at best, kind of rolled off at both ends and congested stage-wise.

I'm looking for that same purity and sweetness without sacrificing the rest of the sonic traits. What have been your guys' contenders for 100W+ solid state power amps with the best mids?
128x128hedonism
Post removed 
Does anyone have experience using Ayre single-ended? I realize that best results are achieved using a fully balanced set-up when it comes to Ayre gear, but my tube preamp is single ended, and it’s going nowhere. I think my Rockna DAC is internally single-ended as well.

@sumaato thanks for the tip on the quad 405-2, I will buy one to keep as a back-up amp, and possibly even my main amp if it's much better than my old Quad 909!

@avanti1960 Nope! While this post is to help me decide which direction I want to move for my next amp, it's always great to learn more about the all-time great amps of yesterday. Buying used is also always an option.

@mikelavigne I deliberately didn't include a price range, because I just want to learn more, not necessarily decide which amp next right away,
The lingo with which one uses to describe a piece of their system amuses me. Certainly in different systems with different room treatments will always generate a different sound, you either like it or you don’t. Kind of like a waste of time…Warm, soft, in, out, up, down, light, dark ? I use vintage Yamaha pc5002m / pc4002m together, to date I’ve had nothing better.
@hedonism, the obvious answer to your question is, it depends, to some extent, on core component matching and, ultimately, on the business end of any sound system... the speakers. If 100 watts (or thereabouts) and $5.000 (give or take a little) are the strict parameters, you might want listen to what Simaudio Moon has to offer or seriously discounted or used McIntosh gear. I'm sure the other recommendations are good, too, but I try to refrain from recommending stuff I haven't heard myself and liked.