Back To Static!

We had a long discussion on the possible causes of static electrical charges on records in another thread. We just had a real good cold snap in New England dropping the humidity to under 20% so I was able to run a set of qualitative experiments documenting some surprising results that I hope will clear up a lot of the mystery and help people contro static charge and the accumulation of dust on their record. 
Static field meters are expensive.  The cheapest one I could find cost $260. I had to find a more sensitive way to measure static as it became apparent that using your own hair is very insensitive. Studying the Triboelectric series I noted that polypropylene is at the opposite end to PVS.  I have polypropylene in the form of suture material, the blue thread that many of you have seen. I tied a length of 6-0 Prolene  to a wood dowel and it worked beautifully. The PVC attracts it like a magnet and the Label repels it. It will pick up very small charges that otherwise go undetected. I can now define four conditions; No charge, Light charge, Charged and Heavily charged. It turns out that completely discharging a record is not easy. The label will actually donate electrons to the vinyl over time reaching an equilibrium point. Totally discharging a record required using a Pro-Ject conductive record brush wired to ground. If I suspend a discharged record (no thread activity) by it's hole within 30 minutes it will develop a slight charge (vinyl attracts the thread, label repels it). This will appear to us as an uncharged record. 
Does playing a record increase the static charge?  Yes absolutely, and the charge is additive. Playing the record over and over again progressively increases the charge from slightly to heavily charged. 
Does how you store the record effect charge? Yes absolutely. Records stored in MoFi antistatic sleeves come out with the baseline small charge. Records stored in paper come out with a noticeably higher charge. These are records that have been totally discharged prior to storage. A record that is charged when you put it away will come out at least as charged even if you are using anti static sleeves. Do conductive sweep arms work? Sort of. If the sweep arm leads the stylus charge will still accumulate. The brush has to track with the stylus. 
Unfortunately, I could not get hold of a Zerostat to test it's effectiveness. Regardless, a charge will accumulate with play.
The single best way to totally discharge a record is a conductive brush wired to ground. Just holding it will not work as well. The impedance of your tissue is in the megaohms. You want a dead short. Even so, a small charge will accumulate over a short period of time. The safest assumption is that there is always a charge on the record attracting dust. So, don't leave records out for any period of time. In regards to the hot topic of dust covers, a properly designed Dust cover does not affect sound quality. If your dust cover does effect sound quality in a negative way then you have a choice between sound quality and dirtier records. Your records, your choice. 
I would love to be able to stage voltages. If in the future I manage to come up with a static field meter I will repeat all of this in a quantitative way. Humidity is a huge factor. Those living in more humid environments have less trouble with static accumulation. I suspect everything occurs in like fashion just the voltages are lower. Lower to the point that they do not need any device to lower the charge?  I don't know. 

128x128mijostyn
According to Analog Relax simply removing a record from the jacket can generate 3-20000v of static electricity. Dust in the air is attracted to the static and will land on your record.

They say there are 2 types of static cause 
Peeling Electrification as above.
Frictional Electrification caused by either the Stylus OR a record sweep or brush.

They claim the correct way to use an antistatic brush is to -
1 - Gentally sweep for dust
2 - Clean dust off brush
3 - Then hold the brush for a few seconds just touching the record, WITHOUT MOVING the brush, so that static is discharged but not regenerated. They suggest doing this step 4 times at 3/6/9/12 oclock to achieve maximum removal of static from the record.

The fibre used in their brush is ultra fine ( smaller than record groove ) nuetralising acrylic and importantly and has low conductivity.

They claim 80% reduction as tested in their labs.

I use the Analog Relax brush but I've never had static issues. My turntable platter/mat system is fully grounded, 

Cheap synthetic carpets and mats are also a major source of bad static problems. Putting an antistatic mat in front of the TT can help.
@dover,

This is probably the best article for record static - Phonograph Reproduction 1978, James H. Kogen, Audio Magazine May 1978 Audio-1978-05.pdf (worldradiohistory.com) goes into some detail on static; what causes it and what does not – the needle in the groove was not a source of static.

Otherwise the Analog Reflex brush uses - COREBRID™ B®: A hollow acrylic fiber that is filled with a conductive material manufactured by Mitsubishi Chemical™. This fiber is 0.03 mm (0.0012”/~30 μm) diameter and its electrical resistance measures between 10 - 10²Ω cm.  The bristle diameter of 30 um will only partly penetrate the groove (not much more than 1/3)
@antinn 
Thanks - I thought Analog Relax most interesting point was to not move the antistatic brush when discharging the record. I dont think I've ever seen anyone not move the antistatic brush, which defeats the purpose. I do see that that their fibre is smaller than the Thunderon/Sealeze.

I have just downloaded your cleaning dissertation - looks great.

Do you have a recommended anti-static sleeve. I see there has been some issues with the Mobil Fidelity sleeves outgassing. These have been suggested -
https://www.sleevecityusa.com/Diskeeper-2-0-Antistatic-Record-Sleeves-p/9235.htm

Thanks.
I was under the impression their is a part used in producing a Home Smoke Detector that when removed and set up near the TT has an remarkable affect on elimination of Static Energy on a LP. 

I use the Yukimu ASB-1 Brush with COREBRID B fibres. I have no complaints in general, it is with a extremely soft 0.3mm wide Bristle.
I will use it on the Platter, Platter Mat/Spindle, Tonearm, Stylus and CD and CD Tray.
In general a Static can become more evident when using a Gun Metal  Platter Mat at certain times of year.
I am on the verge of having a AT 677 Platter Mat to compare to the Gun Metal.
My AT 600 and Forex Foam Mats are all comparable in their performances to the Gun Metal and the Three Platter Mats are used for various situations.
The AT 600 and Forex Foam do not need much put in place when it comes to Static, they seem to be free from the effects of it.

@dover,

The normal use of anti-static brushes in industry as was addressed in the paper when I renewed this thread is stationary over a moving item. But industry uses conductive brushes that are grounded. But ’dissipating" static charge can take a few seconds. In ESD world, the anti-static mats and the straps to ground that people wear often have a large resistor installed so as not to discharge the static too quickly which can damage components. The COREBRID fiber is different from most since the conductive path is inside the hollow acrylic fiber, Conductive, Light-absorbing, Heat Generating Acrylic Fiber "Corebrid™ B" | Products | Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (m-chemical.co.jp). whereas Thunderon & CF are conductive on the surface. So, with that in-mind, maybe that is why they recommend holding the brush stationary.

WRT to sleeves, I have been using the MB sleeves w/o any issue, but I know many people recommend the Sleevecity you listed and also recommend the Audiophile inner record sleeve available in packs of 50 (sleevecityusa.com) which is on backorder until Oct.