Record Cleaning Machines

Has anyone out there done an A/B comparison of the cleaning results or efficacy using the Degritter ultra sonic record cleaning machine which operates at 120 kHz/300 watts and an ultrasonic cleaner that operates at 40 kHz/300 or 380 watts (e.g. Audio Desk; CleanerVinyl; the Kirmuss machine; etc.)?  I have a system I put together using CleanerVinyl equipment, a standard 40 kHz ultrasonic tank and a Knosti Disco-Antistat for final rinse.  I clean 3 records at a time and get great results.  Surface noise on well cared for records (only kind I have) is virtually totally eliminated, sound comes from a totally black background and audio performance is noticeably improved in every way.  Even though the Degritter only cleans 1 record at a time, it seems significantly easier to use, more compact and relatively quick, compared to the system I have now.  I'm wondering if the Degritter's 120 kHz is all that much more effective, if at all, in rendering better audio performance than the standard 40 kHz frequency.  I don't mind, at all, spending a little extra time cleaning my records if the audio results using the Degritter are not going to be any different.  I'm not inclined to spend three grand for a little more ease & convenience and to save a few minutes.  However, if I could be assured the Degritter would render better audio performance results, even relatively small improvements, that would be a whole other story.
oldaudiophile
@oldaudiophile,

The popularity of Tergitol 15-S-9 is that its a superior nonionic surfactant to Triton X100 (which I discuss Chapter XI) or Kodak Photoflo (which I discuss Chapter VIII). 

If you read the first part of Chapter X, there is no real mold release compound. "X.1.5 Lubricant: 0.4% of an esterified montan wax. The wax also acts as a mold release. When the record is removed from the press without the lubricating effect of the montan wax ester in the compound, the grooves of the record are sometimes fractured, torn, and deformed by the removal. These faults in the groove produce noise on playback. Montan wax ester at the stated percentage is compatible with the resins and is homogenized into the surface of the record at the normal pressing temperature. If more than the stated amount of the montan wax ester is used, the excess amount is not absorbed into the surface of the record. Its presence results in non-uniformity in the surface of the record, particularly as related to the friction between the stylus and the groove. This non-uniformity produces noise when the record is played. Some of the many forum discussions on removing mold release may actually be associated with excess lubricant."

"An approach I'm contemplating is using LAST POWER CLEANER as a pre-cleaner, prior to the 40 kHz UCM."  LAST POWER CLEANER is $280/4-oz Last - Power Cleaner | Shop Music Direct.  I pre-clean (as specified in the book) with Alconox Liquinox ($21.99/Qt) Amazon.com: Alconox - 1232-1 1232 Liquinox Anionic Critical Cleaning Liquid Detergent, 1 quart Bottle : Health & Household; tech sheet here Liquinox_tech_bull.pdf (alconox.com) which is then diluted 100:1 for 1%.  So, 1-qt will make 100-qts of cleaner.".

Mobile Fidelity did not do well on their answer; its not their swim-lane.  

Take care,
Neil
Tried the Kirmuss machine. Would NOT recommend it to anyone. Its an amateur and poorly designed component which sits in a generic ultrasonic machine. What I found was that it was easy for a record to slip out of the guide wheels while cleaning, but it will keep turning and pushes the record against the plastic slot it sits in, scratching and damaging a couple of records I tried. Also even if you set the temperature to minimum, the water heats up to a point that records warp... when the record cooled it seemed to return to mostly flat, but I was horrified. Picked it up in the afternoon, tried it on several records in the evening and followed all of the directions, returned the machine the next day.
I went from a VPI 16.5 (still have) only to a Vinyl Stack/Generic 40 khz Ultrasonic set-up to the Degritter (have had it now for a few weeks).  IMO, each change was an improvement.  I've done over 400 lp's on the Degritter in that time (heavy cycle) and have played several.  Very impressed on how quiet the albums are and can hear more detail and better bass.  That said, some of the albums I've listened to aren't completely noise free -- I've not recleaned yet to see if there is an improvement or if it's just now in the vinyl due to age or other factor.
The Degritter is so easy to use and a time saver.  Drop the record in, start, and come back in about 10 minutes (on Heavy) to a clean/dry record.  That said, using heavy cycle, I find the machine's cooling cycle does kick in after the 2nd record or so when I am doing a batch at a time (sometimes 20-30 per day as I'm recleaning my entire collection).  It just adds a bit of time.  No user interaction required.
Overall, I recommend the Degritter.

@maximumheadroom had  Kirmuss myself while I didn't have the issues you had it was a PITA to use and had too many "steps" for the process. Kept it one week and sold it quickly at a loss. Live and learn. Now use a keith monks cleaner and couldn't be happier.
I can’t imagine using the Kirmuss system.. . Life is too short.

My understanding is that ultrasonic is not effective on removing grease and oils. Is this correct?

After trying various VPI type machines and a Degritter I use the Gem Dandy. http://hifigem.com/hydraulic-lp-cleaning-apparatusMKII.html. The others work, this is is just as good or better at a fraction of the cost

My records are dead silent. I took one over to a friends the other day and he got up to check after he dropped the needle because he didn’t hear any groove noise before the music started. I apply the cleaning solution then use a hand held steam cleaner to blast them before I rinse them with copious amounts of very hot tap water using the kind of hand sprayer most have on their kitchen sink. , so in my experience all the fuss about hot water is unwarranted. Thin records will actually warp during the process but go back to flat when they cool.

I do have a utility sink in the basement where I can splash some water about without concern. I would not want to do this at my kitchen sink.

BTW to keep my Degritter from getting too warm and going into cool down, as it used up the water in the tank I added ice cubes made from distilled water. You can also purchase a second tank.