Welcome Back!

Not you, the speakers!  ;) 
Ok, welcome to you as well.  

I anguished about the Wharfedale Opus 2-M2 Speakers when I reviewed them. They were so good, with their svelte 3" soft dome midrange, but I just couldn't spend the money all those years ago. 

They're back! I watched for years for a used pair, and now they are in my room. My memory was intact, as they sound as good to my ear as I recalled. I wanted that 3" soft dome mid again. I do enjoy the precision of the PMC and ATC speakers I have heard, but not going to spend that kind of money for a side project. Wharfedale is fine, not a slouch company, good enough for this project. 

Very nice result with subs; first run is with the active bass module of the Aspen Acoustics Lagrange L1 preproduction model (L1 production model will receive owner's review at Dagogo.com in due time). I also have the Legacy Audio XTREME XD Sub (reviewed, own) to work with. 

I don't often chase after something from the past, but in this instance, especially at the cost, it was a good return. 

Every technology has their fans; dipole, omni, horn, etc. The 3" soft dome mid, too, is worthwhile to garnish its fans. It's a more in your face, brisk sound, but that's somewhat adjustable with the rig. Already, after two days, I can see this was a good move. Imo, the 3" soft midrange is an under appreciated driver.   :) 

Also, LOVING the fact that the 2-M2 is bi-wirable/bi-ampable! I am going to do good things with this speaker. Already commendable, but another trick or two yet to pull off.  
douglas_schroeder
Some associated thoughts, I do recall Morel speakers and my recollection is that they were quite good. 

What I am hearing from this passive setup brings to mind what I remember of actives with such domes at shows. What I hear now I consider at least as good as the show demos.. Two thoughts; direct comparison is not possible and such conclusions need to be held with reservation. Also, I wonder if much of the love for actives is due to the large soft dome and not so much the amplification scheme. 

I had discussed with one importer doing a comparison review of active versus passive models,  but the company's demand for me to sign a document of unfavorable personal  liability caused me to abandon it. I get it, though. 

Now, I'm content that I did not spend the many hours on it. I think it would have been a nice article for the community on the topic of active vs passive, but I'm loving the outcome with the Legacy Audio i.V4 Ultra Amplifier and the Opus 2-M2. There is quite a good possibility that were I to have a comparably sized active with 3" soft dome, I would be able to outperform it withe the Opus and i.V with certain cabling setups and with various  components.  Perhaps this Opus setup would perform so closely as to make an active at 5-10x the price not worth it. 

That is speculation and no one can say either way. Now I would not spend all the time on it, as I don’t consider it to be enough of a benefit. The soft dome 3" was my biggest motivation and now I have it. :)

I still love the ones I bought years ago, discounted (somewhat) because they were closing out the line.
Enjoy
I know they show up rarely.  This was one of the few older speaker I kept my eyes open to find, again, only because of the soft dome mid. There's plenty of alternatives in other genres floating about.  
the ADS 2030 is an excellent speaker. modernize the cabinet, recapp and go !

have fun with your new speakers Doug !

Jim
Reminds me of the Yamaha NS 1000M I lusted after for years, but couldn’t afford, found used pair at Play it again”in Cleveland in ‘85 or 6 for $600 & have loved them since.
I did do recap & upgrade speaker binding posts.
Enjoy