Benchmark Dac 1 vs Bel Canto Dac 2 ?????????????

My search for a new Dac continues.I would like to hear the comments of members that are familiar with these dacs.Have you A/B ed the two?What did you like/dislike about either? If you own either dac,what else have you listened to, or what other dacs have you owned ? Thanks,Gixerman
gixerman
Gixerman, I have auditioned both and decided on the Bel Canto 2. I readily agree with the opinion that they both add to a system only that the Bel Canto added more in musicality, sound stage and air between instruments. My system is Rotel RCD-1072 which Bel Canto said is more than an adequate transport, CJ PV-L II, Classe CA-150's as monoblocks and Aerial 8's, interconnects are Cardas and Speaker cables are Synergistic. This system sounds great and can be improved with the advent of the new Bel Canto DAC which is due anytime and other components as the wife permits. Steve
The latest Benchmark version is significantly better. I think you should audition it again.
You can order the Benchmark from Audio Advisor and take it for a 30 day test drive (they may even sell the bel canto). That way you can hear it in your system, which is the only way to know.
I compared the 2 dacs in my system for several days.
I kept the Bel Canto DAC2 and shipped the Benchmark back. DAC2 is so much more fluid sounding. Full sounding midrange, very smooth highs and solid lows. Stage is way deeper that the Benchmark. I noticed one thing when listening to Benchmark is that it tends to initially impress you with its resolution, which turns into digital headache about 20 minutes later. Thin sounding dac compared to Bel Canto. bel Canto has all the detail but in much more liquid presentation.
I came to conclusion that the Benchmark is exactly what it is - a tool for recording studio engineer. I doubt its application in a high-end system.

As far as the ergonomics and features, yes, the Benchmark wins over the Bel Canto. But Bel Canto is just superior sounding dac. Get a very good digital coax cable and you'll have a killer digital front end, even with a dvd player as a transport.
The Bel Canto is the more musical DAC here. The Benchmark is very analytical and thin sounding in my opinion. Everything John Atkinson recommends sounds this way if you take a look at his recommended component history. I think his Class A rating is a bit over zealous.

There is a reason you see so many of them hit the classifieds weekly and are advertised as only a couple of months old. They can sound very fatiguing which is definitely not what this hobby is all about..

Anyway, I don't think you could go wrong with a Bel Canto DAC-2, A Musical Fidelity Trivista 21, or an Electrocompaniet ECD-1 used here on Audiogon. But the best way is to audition, audition, audition in your own system with your music..

BTW:(I own an Electrocompaniet ECD-1 and love it)

Good Luck,

Chris