Audiophile Vacations

Hey Folks,

I was prodded to think about this based on the number of posters that have trouble finding the gear they want to hear/demo in their area.

What do you do when on vacation?  For me I always add a few things into my trips to other cities/areas.  (1) Search out the best Vinyl stores (new & used).  I like to support Brick & Mortar.  (2) Look for the best liquor stores to see if I have find some bourbons not available around my area; and (3) Visit the best Audio Showrooms in town.  

By doing #3 I get to see many pieces of equipment that I never get exposed to in my area.  Why is it some brands have only 2-3 dealers in the continental use [don't answer that].  I'll admit to planning some trips to areas that have dealers that demo certain brands.  What else are you going to do if you want to demo Basis Audio Turntables, or Borreson Speakers?

Let's not forget our "vacations" to audio shows (Axpona, Capitol Audio Show, Rocky Mtn, etc.)

I'm sure I am not alone here.  What were some of your favorite Audiophile vacations.

Happy Travels, again!
pgaulke60
PuLeez, We are not talking about looking at Audio stores in Africa when on Safari or in the African bush. 

I missed the part we’re you excluded Africa in your original post.

You won't find any good audio stores outside of Joburg or Nairobi.

Weird, I’ve seen good audio stores in Pretoria, Bloemfontein, Durban and Capetown to name but a few. I guess I must have imagined it? 

But come on people, don't extrapolate this benign question into far fetched examples. 

Indeed. Only pgaulke here is sophisticated enough to have travelled to Africa. Let’s not be “far fetched” and pretend any of us travel abroad, let alone Africa, for vacation. 

Although she didn't like it much, I've gone to plenty of audio retail stores while away from home on vacation.   Sue me; I wanted to see what 'Sound By Singer' looked like while in Manhattan and to hear what they had.

I get to hear and see things that have eluded me at shows, not to mention what is available to hear in Colorado anyway. Visiting audio stores is NOT a vacation, merely a side-trip if available. That's what makes audio a hobby for us.

tubes108, a caveat on the Borresen brand; they are detrimental to your pocketbook but you'll sure enjoy the music eating your noodles.  :-)   I think they sound spectacular.
@musicaddict 

Thanks much for your post.

You more accurately depicted what my intent was in this post.  I did not mean to suggest that I was going on vacations with the specific intent of just going to record stores and audio showrooms.  They were always side ventures while I was there.

Thanks for clarifying that.